1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooters disappearing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Sep 16, 2013.

1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Attended a great shoot this weekend at Grayling MI. Thanks to all the good people that put it on, and the weather was perfect. But once again, where were all the shooters? Every place I go to shoot it seems to be the same story: lack of shooters. The people at Grayling are saying they have to scale back next year to stay solvent. I read recently that here in MI for every new hunter that they gain they lose 50 due to attrition. I guess we are watching the beginning of the end of hunting/shooting sports everywhere. Bill in MI

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It may have begun some time ago Bill. What you're describing is no different than here in MA. I think the same applies to clay target shooting or hunting. When I go to New Brunwick, CA bird hunting in two weeks I'll see the same thing there. You don't see near the same amount of hunters as you used to whether from the US or Canada, they're just not out there any more.
    I'm afraid "The good old days" are truly behind us. Sad to see,so enjoy it while we can. Good luck and enjoy, Bob

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The older shooters,hunters are not being replaced + Obama.

Clyde

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The economy may "do in" shooting where the politicans have been unable to do so.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The economy isn't helping and Obama needs another vacation ... The Foreign Aid give away programs are strangleing the people of America, they hate us and we support them ..? Obama is hell bent on the destrution of the United States as we knew it and is doing all he can to bankrupt the United States ... We owe big thanks to all of those who voted for him and can only hope that they feel the pain the most and for the longest length of time ...

Shooting is not a cheap sport but a person cannot feed their family or afford vacations, and owe more on their homes that they are worth, they are supposed to go and blow money out the barrel of a shotgun, I seriously doubt it ... This started a long time ago as Bob stated but has to somehow start to turn around or we are all going to hell in a hand basket and won't have the money to buy our way back ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Biggest reason plain and simple, COST!

Disposable income keeps getting smaller for a major percentage of the working folks and probably more so here in MI.

Our club and surrounding clubs mostly are older retired and as they go we have no replacements, a few come and would love to be shooters but can not cut the cost.

We used to have 40+ 3 man teams for our winter skeet league that brought out people to shoot and have a good time thru the winter to battle cabin fever.
    Now we are hard pressed to get 15 teams, the more casual shooters site cost and the more serious are cutting back.

Add up what you spend if you shoot say 3 or 4 or more rounds a 2 or 3 times a week, that's a lot of groceries or car payment or ?.

I know how much I spend and I do it as economically as possible and this is not counting gun and reloader costs which also have gotten rough on a young family guy. I can see their issue.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think skeetbender about covered it...

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Was at a wedding this weekend for some 24 y/o something’s for a high school friend. The food theme was Veggie Burgers and Tattoo’s ........a complete disconnect!!!!

GS

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

379 shooters signed up to shoot our league yesterday. Up from last year!!

10. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Anecdotal evidence of " Itll be fine" is cute and may be very true for some portion of this Country but on the whole no sane person can deny that the economy has gone to hell and shooting costs have gotten out of hand .
    most folks I know are bordering on the "want to" vs. "need to" way of life. Shooting, at least at this point, is a "want to" not a " need to".
    Yep, youre right... Still a lot of shooters. But, a bunch of rich geezers touching themselves is not what the shooting sports need right now.

Edh

11. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I wonder how the shooting sports survived WWI and II,the great depression and so on.....Do you really think it is so much more hopeless now?

12. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Hopeless? No.
    But close. WW1, WW2 we had a mostly rural population which basically grew up with guns and many of those folks lives depended on those guns for either food, safty or both. Not so now.
    The majority of americans nowadays are so far removed from firearms that many have never even seen an actual firearm. Also, todays political climate is vastly different. Even our so called supporters are very quick to compromise away our rights.

Edh

13. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

mcneely5, During the depression .22 ammo was so expensive ( in comparison to other necessities ) that using a round to shoot a Jackrabbit for food wasn't done. Instead starving people drove them into pens and clubbed them. .22 ammo was reserved for bigger game and the kids of the depression were 'issued' 5 rounds and they DAMN WELL BETTER come back in with 5 Coons, Possums, Turkeys, or something equal. Weren't many semi-automatic rifles out on the farms back during the depression. Single shot bolt guns. Head shots. Eyeball shots. Small game damn near went extinct then, some areas of the country it did. Deer disappeared from large tracts and didn't come back until the '70's and 80's in many parts of the country. Men, women, and children STARVED to death in those days so don't EVEN try to make a comparison. Shooting wasn't a 'sport' in those days. Pray to whoever or whatever you choose that those days never come back to this Country. The '30's were bad and the '50's were bad too. Lessons were learned. Hard damn lessons. Folks ought not make light of them.

Don T

14. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like Olle says, participation seems to be up here at North Jersey. Lot's of new shooters and lot's of targets in the air 5 days a week. We'll see this weekend when we host New Jersey's Northern Zone Shoot.

Ed Yanchok

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Fla_native pretty much nailed it from what I've seen. We are not rural based, gun country anymore. Hell, 80% don't even know what a clutch is!

Most movies are based on some type of gun violence, yet guns are "bad". And Hollywood hypocrites are making money off it, yet they do anti-gun commercials and back anti-gun candidates.

How bout we pass a law outlawing gun violence in movies unless a documentary??

16. dukdropper

dukdropper Member

Definitely don't see as many out in the swamps and woods any more. A high percentage of the younger generation/population coming up are not outdoorsman type like my 2 boys and I. Most of these whipper snappers stay in the house playing X-box and playstation. That is a very true statement- call people you know with kids and see what they do! Their dream is to control one of obamas drones while sitting in a cubbie hole somewhere here in the states!
    dan

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Powder, primers, bullets and ammo are in short supply yet some say nobody's shooting anymore. Sporting Clays courses around here are often so filled parking is difficult. Indoor shooting ranges are equally packed with young shooters. Shop at any major gun store and try to buy the handgun you think you need and it's likely not there or back ordered for months.

The shooters are out there and spending money but the games have changed!!

18. Dave K

Dave K Member

Things have just plain changed. Many of the younger people are working many more hours, then ever before, for less spendable money than it used to be. Don't like the hours, step aside, someone will take your job. Don't like the usual now low wages? We will send your job to a foreign land. With the raising costs of living, the hours spent to make that living with less money, something has to give. I do enjoy many activities. Unfortunately all the things I enjoy are in decline. Friendship is on right now and I hope it is going well. In recent years it has been in decline. Went to a old outboard motor/wood boat meet yesterday. It is in decline. Was at Mid_Ohio race way this July. It is in decline. Everyone there is getting old and the younger people are working to support a family with more hours and less money. Until money is rewarded to workers, we can just anticipate a decline in so many activities and purchases like guns, boats, campers, etc. Have we returned to the 1930's. Will we be working like the coal miners of the days when you were owned by the company, spending your income in their stores and living in their houses? Looks like we are headed that way to me. My opinion and I will soon see that I am going to be declared wrong.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Andy is right. It has been the SC growth.

20. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Our club leaders say things are better this year. I really can't afford it but I bought my kid a bt99 and had him come out and shoot and he just fell in love with knocking the big boys out of the line on our game night. Hes getten cocky out there. I've also had him in a couple shoots. Want kids to shoot? Get them a gun and get them out there. Pull those old safe queens out and take your grandchildren out. We have a few grand kids that one ole boy brings out. Quit bitching and start supporting. JUST SAYEN

Search tags for this page

clubegtherea