1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

Shooter

Has anyone tried Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner? All the reviews I've read said I can clean all the black gunk out of my barrel in half the time. I'm not the most diligent gun cleaner out there and it's always an extended period of time and rounds at the trap range between cleanings. If anyone has tried this, please give me your opinion.

Mike

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've tried it and it does work very well. Bill Malcolm

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shooter's Choice works but you have to be diligent about re-oiling anything it touches to prevent rust.

"Ed's Red" works just as well, is cheaper to mix up and it oils as it cleans.

MK

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I like it, just ordered some today from Brownells. Never had a problem with rust, as I apply a light coat of oil to every firearm I clean regardless of the cleaning solution I am using at the time.

It gets rid of plastic wad fouling with minimal effort.

5. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I use it and it works. I also like their FP-10 oil. Great cleaner and mid-weight lube. Kimber recommends it for their pistols, that's where I first heard of Shooter's Choice. I now use it on all my weapons. After everything is clean and before put into storage, I lightly spray and wipe with their Rust Prevent. They also make a grease in a syringe but I haven't tried that yet.

6. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I've noticed there are a few different recipes for "Ed's Red." Is there one that is considered the best or "new and improved"?

Mike

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Equal parts of <UL><LI>Dexron ATF<LI>K-1 kerosene<LI>Odorless mineral spirits (or Stoddard solvent [Kingsford Charcoal lighter fluid])<LI>acetone.</ul>

That having been said, I use 10 oz. of the first 3 and 2 oz. of the last. The purpose for the acetone is to melt plastic residue in the barrel but I get very little of that.

I mix and store it in quart can that once held mineral spirits and transfer about 6 oz at a time into a glass jar with a metal lid to dip patches into.

<I>Ed's Red Article</I>

MK

8. iluv99s

iluv99s TS Member

I have been using Shooters Choice for 4-5 years, use a 10ga brass brush, run it about 10 times throrgh the barell,whip clean,don't even re-oil,unless storing for more than 2 days. Works great as does all Shooters Choise products. Jim R

9. K.B.

K.B. Member

the stuf works real good eats the plastic up left in choke tubes . also found less plastic res. after switching to down range wads. Kevin

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I discovered a few years ago and that is all I've used since.

It really makes short work of any plastic in your barrel.

Great product and I highly recommend it!

Hauxfan!

11. traper130

traper130 Member

12. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Here's a good deal on choke cleaner. Have ordered from MPC before & they have great customer service & good prices.

i_shoot

13. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I'm with unknown, I use Ed's Red. I have used shooters choice and it did work well. I clean my guns after every shoot and i can make alot of ed's red cheaper than the cost of shooters choice. There is a utube video that i have. I'll try to post the link. I'm not real good at this so I hope it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfaCCJjBEU

I store mine in a mason jar with aluminum foil over the top and then screw the lid on. If you don't it will eat the rubber seal on the lid. There is one caution, don't get it on your wood, it will eat the finish, just use it for cleaning the inside of the barrel. Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shooters choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner

shooters choice shotgun choke tube cleaner