1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter under-classified wins class, any recourse?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harv Shell, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK guys & gals, you make the call. An ATA shooter is under-classified, probably by an inexperienced volunteer.

Averages for this shooter over the past 10 plus years straight put him in the higher class, but he shoots and wins the lower class. Is there any recourse, should he forfeit the trophy to the legitimate winner, or what do you think? I couldn't find anything in the rulebook that addressed this.

And no, I am not affected by this situation, just curious if anyone has seen this happen and if there was a good solution. Harv Shell

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot management should buy a second trophy and give it to legitimate winner. HMB

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

10 years only shows he was good once upon a time.

Rulebook shows how to classify shooters.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Oh hell, whatever happened to the "tar & feathers" scenario?

Or

File an official complaint with the ATA (if they're not too busy persecuting shoot organizers)..

Or

Let sleeping dogs lie...

Or

Do as most clubs would do.....nothing!!

Curt

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It happened to me once a long time ago, I insisted they gave the trophy to the rightfull winner ... I was actually classified by the State Delegate at the time who made an honest mistake when he classified me ... It is the shooter that is responsible for making sure he or she is classified correctly, in my case I never looked at how I was classified but had it corrected when they called me to pick up the winners trophy ... The actual winner, a Lady didn't believe she had won and thought I was just being nice and giving her the winners trophy, like that was going to happen ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Didn't that just happen somewhere in Ohio with some Aussies? Ask shoot management what they did to clean up that mess.

7. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

WPT,

Were you not there when he classified you?

John

8. Harv Shell

To clarify, 2013 average was the higher class. I was just making a point it has been that every year for 10+ years.

9. BigM-Perazzi

Well, rulebook covers that too.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

All shooters must rely on clubs and their classifiers to make the right classifications to make the game fair according to ability. ATA can do nothing unless or until a complaint is filed. If the legitimate class winner could/would have known he was ousted by a mis-classified much better shooter, he could file a complaint against the club?

Easiest solution would be for the club to award the legit. class shooter a duplicate trophy and hope it all goes away? There usually no way another shooter could know he's been shafted unless he knows the better shooter's history and the club had that information in front of them at the right time.

HAP

11. Harv Shell

What does it say Jim, and where?

12. BigM-Perazzi

Do a search, it's been discussed frequently.

13. Fireball

Fireball Member

If a person gets classified lower than what they know they should be classified then I think you have to feel a little sorry for them. Why would ya? Have a little respect for the game and yourself.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Although recent events in Golf might suggest otherwise, we could take a cue from Golf... self-imposed strict, zero-tolerance honor-system... before you leave the classification table, WE are responsible for OUR correct classification ONLY.

If we accept the wrong classification, from a shoot volunteer, we accept a unilateral DQ. The rules are posted - we can read, and do math.

If anyone (shoot management/other participants) can show an incorrect classification, before the shoot concludes, the shooter is DQ'd - period... forget this honest mistake crap, accept responsibility for your actions, in trying to take advantage of a classification error - intentional or otherwise.

Jay

15. oz

oz Active Member

sandbagger

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shoot in southern WS. and my average is always lower at the start of the year because the year starts in Sept. targets up here are not always good...then spring start up is a little windy.

I don't try to tailor my averages by only shooting on nice days, I shoot when I can.

then when the weather gets really good and I start shooting good, I usually move from B class to A class....

so does that make me a sandbagger??

tony

17. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I agree that we are responsible for our classification but who's opinion matters most? The classifier or the shooter? Some classifiers go strictly by average, some look back and see a few good scores, some don't look at your shooting records at all and only ask what your average is

It is a flawed system. Unsure how to fix it,

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shot the IL state shoot this year as B, I mentioned to classifaction that maybe I should be A...they looked at my card again and said no..your in B...

tony

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You are classed by your last 1000 targets or known ability. When I use to classify shooters some would get mighty PO'ed when I classed them higher than then their card suggested or in some cased penalized them for lack of ATA targets. That was me. Most classifiers would not do that (to nice or to much naiveté). I wasn't there to make friends.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Common sense is not permitted. HMB