1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter to my right mounts gun early.... OK?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chiefjon, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

IMHO any movement or action which is distracting to the shooter who is up, is inappropriate. I have been bothered by a variety of things that others on the line do, and I have just ignored it, to the detriment of my score. I pay for the targets (and the time to shoot them), my scores matter to me and I want to play the game within the rules...so, I say something, politely to the shooter, once. Next time I go to an official or resquad.

JON

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

No. Not ok. Anytime a shooter to my right moves and I pick the movement up, especially if they shoot at a shorter yardage than I do and are slightly in front of me, I stop my set up, open my gun and start over. They usually get the message after a couple of times. If not, I politely ask them to wait until it is their turn to shoot to start getting set up.

Jeff

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Absolutely unacceptable.

Every so often, you still run across some buck-toothed hillbilly who is a hold-over from the ol' "trap reading days," when you could "choose your angle" by humping up on the person who shot just before you.
    (Back when traps didn't have oscillation interrupters, the thinking was that you could get almost the same angle target as the guy who shot just before you, if you had your gun up and called pull as soon as he shot...if you were paying attention to what direction the trap was headed, you could almost dial in for exactly what bird you were going to get).

I don't know if that's why this guy was transgressing or not, but either way, it's distracting, rude, and not even effective in the age of Pat Traps (any time after interrupters were invented, really).

Ask him politely...if he refuses to stop, call a line referee.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Yes it's in the rule book but it was to no avail at the Florida State shoot. Most will tell you that you should get blinders. They may help but there is nowhere in the rule book requiring blinders however there is a section about distracting other shooters when thy move before it's their turn to shoot. I would ask them directly to stop and if they continue refuse to call for another target untill they either move them or you. Joe

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If the fellow to your right is moving in any way that disturbs you at that critical moment, you may and should mention it to him. However, you describe a really good reason to wear blinders when shooting which will assist in this dilemma. More however, you must remember there are no rules as to when the gun can be closed on the shooting line and good squads of seasoned shooters will often see mates closing their gun before the shooter on their left or even two people ahead; I've seen many really fast squads closing their guns as fast as they can charge it with a new shell and find I often do the same. Last however, I have had two occasions over 35 years where a person on my right would begin his upward movement and shouldering almost precisely when I mounted. I consider this WAY too soon and handled it by beginning my mount and when the fellow raised his gun at nearly the same moment, I'd dismount and say, "My turn buddy!" After a couple of those, I finally said, "Hey, it's my turn to shoot not yours!" On both occasions they got the drift and after the round, they complained to me that I was asking them to change their preferred "routine." I simply said, "You are disturbing my turn to shoot and that can get you disqualified." End of problem. So, wear some blinders and just dismount if you have a fellow mounting his gun while it's your turn.....Bob Dodd

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Unless you shoot with a regular squad get some big blinders.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Please" and a smile usually get a good response.

8. mrcoachbob

mrcoachbob TS Member

I am new to trap shooting and went entered my first event last Friday. I thought I was doing the right thing by staying as still as possible until it was my turn. Between rounds one of the members of my squad suggested that I might be distracting others by taking too long. He said that I needed to be ready to go as soon as the person to my left shoots. I thought this was a little weird. I starting thinking about it between shots and it started affecting my already low scores. When my frustration finally got to a point where I was no longer having fun, I said screw it and went back to my routine of waiting my turn.

I guess I am glad to here a lot of you say it is OK for me to wait my turn.

Bob

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You paid for them shoot them how you like as long as your not distracting them during their shot.
    Joe

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Bob,

If you are ready to mount your gun as soon as the previous target breaks, no one should complain unless you are doing a bunch of nonsense to get set. What's nonsense? I once shot with a guy that literally would point the gun straight up in the air and then slowly bring it down to level, get set and then call for the bird. If he didn't get a target on his call he started the whole thing over.

I haven't run into him since so I assume he was murdered and rightly so.

Watch the best shooters. The one common thread among them is that they have reduced their firing routine to the bare minimum of motion. This is all part of establishing good solid fundamentals that will reproduce success 100 times in a row.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

And they all shoot their own targets the way it works best for them. Their not afraid to take down their gun and start over if things don't feel right. They just do it less than most.
    Joe

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

although my club doesnt shoot ata events, club rule is you can not close your action until shooter to your right has taken his shot. I like that. For one sometimes I am wondering does this guy think it is his turn. I have learned to block it out. Do not like gun movement to my left or right while im shooting.

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Shot with a guy once( TO MY RIGHT) that thought tracking my target was a good idea

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, if yahoojacktotheirright mounts his gun, they will politely tell them to go ahead and shoot...... well, Kay wouldn't...lol

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

How about giving some thought to the left-hander that is shooting after you? Your post-shot movements are very distracting to a southpaw trying to shoot. I have made long blinders out of milk jugs, and that helps, but not so much on Hcaps with shorter yardage shooters.

A little consideration goes a long way.

Kip

16. chillyhamster

chillyhamster TS Member

Same as the rules for trap this side of the pond. Only the shooter in the process of shooting is allowed to have his gun closed, therefor it cannot be in the shoulder or in a raised position.
    Your ATA rules, section 14.
    "14. A contestant may hold his/her gun in any position when it is his/her
    turn to shoot. The contestant must in no manner interfere with the
    preceding shooter by raising his/her gun to point or otherwise create
    an observable distraction."

Suggest to refere to the referee for a baulk evertime it happens and refere to above rule, see where it gets you.

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I had that problem with a well-known junior before he was well-known a few years ago. Every time I mounted my gun - up would go his. Drove me nuts until I put a stop to it. I pulled up my gun, waited for him to do the same, and then put my gun down. It took a few times and a stern look in his direction before he finally got it. To my knowledge, he didn't do it again. By the way, he learned it from his father, who did the same exact thing.

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I've run into the same problem. I don't understand what the hell their hurry is.

Politely mention the distraction to the shooter. If he continues that behavior, make note of his name and avoid squading next to him ever again. Or better yet, find some way to screw with him while he's shooting. I'd suggest ratteling your bag of empty hulls as loudly as possible right when he calls pull.

~Michael

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Page 18 rule 14 of the ATA states this is an infraction. (2005 edition).

I had this happen once at the Grand years ago. Very distracting.

Regards...Gerald

20. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

It really gets me jacked out of shape when the next guy has his gun on his shoulder and its my turn. I will mount and dismount about 4 times till he learns. And I have seen one woman do this but I was not shooting on her squad. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.