1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter Killed today in range accident

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doubles Xpert, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

There was a tragedy this morning at the Old Fishermans Club. a Local trap and skeet club in Central California. A friend of Mine while shooting skeet was shot a killed in an accidental discharge of a shotgun... he was standing at his truck when one of the shooters accidentally touched the trigger and shot him in the head... Got me to thinking though... Yesterday at a registered shoot in Stockton Ca, I noticed on two different occasions, shooters pointing their shotguns in an unsafe direction mounting the guns I guess they were checking out someone else's guns or bead checking. Both of the men who did this are experienced shooters as well. One of the men was pointing the shotgun in my direction. it only takes one careless moment of not controlling your muzzle and the consequences will last a lifetime... or yet worse will end a life... my heart goes out to Bill's Wife and Family / friends as well as the poor soul who shot him..

God's Speed Bill!!!!!

Modesto man killed in skeet shooting accident

By EMILIE RAGUSO , eraguso@modbee.com

A 71-year-old man died Sunday morning at the Old Fishermen's Club of Modesto when a member of his skeet shooting group accidentally shot him in the head, authorities reported.

The man has been identified by the Stanislaus County coroner’s office as William Herrmann of Modesto. He was pronounced dead just after 11 a.m. Sunday.

The club, at 10800 Maze Blvd., is about nine miles west of Modesto on the San Joaquin River.

A group of club members had gone out for skeet shooting, said Lt. Mario Cisneros of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department. It was about 9:30 a.m.

"A few of them were near their vehicles," he said. "One of the gentlemen accidentally touched his trigger and discharged his weapon."

The shooter's gun happened to be pointing toward people a few feet away, Cisneros said. He hit Herrmann in the head.

The victim was taken to a hospital by helicopter, Cisneros said.

No information was available about the shooter, Cisneros said, and no one will be arrested.

"This was truly an accident," he added.

Phil Brugger of Modesto, a past president of the Old Fishermen's Club, said he had heard of no other injuries or deaths at the club since it was established in 1920. Brugger is on the club's board of directors.

Brugger said he did not know Herrmann, who was not a club member. The shooter was a club member, he said. His name has not been released.

"I know him to be a very capable gentleman," Brugger said. "I'm sure the man is absolutely devastated."

The shooter has managed and run the club's skeet range for years, Brugger said.

The only place weapons are allowed at the club are at its trap and skeet ranges, he said. Hunting and other target practice are not allowed at the club. Shotguns are the only weapons allowed on its grounds.

The organization promotes sportsmanship, preservation of the environment and social activities for its nearly 800 members, all of whom are men, Brugger said.

"It's extremely sad when we lose someone. It's horrible," he said. "I'm still in a state of shock."

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wow!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1. Control that muzzle.<br>
    <br>
    2. Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone loaded before they were on the pad... ...and failed to control his muzzle... ...and put his finger on the trigger before he wanted to shoot... Just what basic firearms safety rules DID he follow?

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This takes the cake. On the Shotgun World forum, the following was posted:shooting happened in the parking lot,drunk,dumb, trap shooters. That pretty much explains it. signed Mike Power NSSA-170504--what an idiot!!!!

Lou

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Get a ;ife Lou- if ya gon't like trap shooters, get off the forum

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Cuban Cigar--I'm a trap shooter-the idiot Mike Power put that out--He's the skeeter.

Lou

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If alcohol was not present then it's a tragic accident. If the shooter had been drinking and/or under the influence of alcohol, then it's Criminally Negligent Homicide.

Curt

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

my apology, I mis read, post deleted

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sad incident indeed.

However, I must fundamentally disagree with the statement, "This was truly an accident."

This was poor gun handling, pure and simple. Loaded gun, pointing at someone, and finger on the trigger.

Totally preventable, if the shooter had been following even one of the basic safety rules.

Target shooters (trap, skeet, sporting clays alike) have a great safety record, but so often we don't pay attention to the basic rules, muzzle control (where's it pointed?!?!), finger off the trigger, gun open and unloaded until your turn to shoot.

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

MY GAWD ... its a freakin epidemic of killings.

3 different threads about 3 different accidental killings, its a freakin epidemic of death.

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Mr Newbius©, you are the most obnoxious jerk I every had the misfortune to know, personally or on the web. Go crawl back in to your hole. BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading accident killed shooter

skeet injury accidents