1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooter-izing a RV?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What have you done to your RV to make it more shooter friendly? My friend, his dad, and I are going to be traveling the shooting circuit this summer, and will be spending about 6 weeks total in their 5th wheel. We've spend alot of time in there before, but i'm looking at ways we can become a little more organized, as things can become a little cramped with all our stuff jammed in the camper. I want to build a gun rack for one of the walls so we don't have to keep leaning guns up in corners b/w events, also had an idea for some sort of rack system for one of the outside compartments so we could store flats of shells a little better (presently stored on the floor of the master bedroom).

Also, the bed I sleep on is a fold out like a futon. The problem I have is the seam in the middle is uncomfortable to sleep across. Was thinking one of those memory foam mattress pads may help with this, any thoughts?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"...also had an idea for some sort of rack system for one of the outside compartments so we could store flats of shells a little better (presently stored on the floor of the master bedroom)."

From my experience, they're actually better off where they are. The basement compartments of my class C are molded ABS screwed to the side of the coach wall. They are NOT, I emphasize NOT, designed nor intended to carry the weight of flats of shells, especially if you add the weight of a rack system to do it. You'd be better off, from my perspective, buying a lockable watertight storage box and bolting it to the truck bed to carry shells.

Since I use a class C some of my changes are not applicable to your situation. I build a light weight gun stand that sits in the cab between the front seats to store 4 guns between events. We carry our ammunition and other supplies in a water tight truck bed box mounted on a simple car dolly we tow behind us. It will carry 30 flats easily.

You'll find that there is little, if anything, substantial in the walls to attach things to. We attach most everything with industrial grade self-adhesive Velcro. A gun rack can sit on the floor but be stabilized to the wall by Velcro.

Morgan

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap gun safe and installed it in a closet, Spread the flats out all over the RV to equalize weight.

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

The walls of an R.V.'s are not strong enough to take the jarring and roughness of the roads as you go along along. The Mollies or whatever you use to bolt them on with won't hold they will pull out or off. I worked on R.V.'s for about 32 years or so. You could hang them when you are parked put take them down when you are on the road. Some compartments were framed in but not with 1/4" angle iron. Mostly aluminum framing. I am not sure what they are doing now days been out of the repair business 7 years or so. But, I don't think it has changed that much as far as stability of carrying things like this. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I have no practical experience, but considering three grown men in a 5th wheel for six weeks . . . I'd put an aerosol room freshener at the top of the list.

Scott

6. skeet_man

scott- LOL, it won't be 6 weeks straight luckily (it'd be a 3 went out 1 came back proposition if that were the case LOL).

We wouldn't travel w/ the guns in any sort of rack, just looking for something to get them out of the way between events.

Good thoughts about not storing anything outside, hadn't thought of that. Guess we are probably better off just leaving everything pretty much where we had it.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I did a lot of searching for a memory foam mattress to use on a cot in a wall tent. It gets old after a week in the cold and rather uncomfortable with the sagging cross piece, know exactly what you mean. The memory foam had some disadvantages with winter camping and a cot, might work in your case though. They are not inexpensive.

Take a look at the Cabelas’s Deluxe Cot Pad or the Self-Inflating Sleeping Pads. The URL links are too long so just go to Cabelas and search for:

Cabela's Deluxe Cot Pad
    and
    Cabela's Ultimate Self-Inflating Sleeping Pads

A hollow core door between the bed and mattress adds perfect support but think you have too much of a space constraint for that.

8. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Most important is the playstation 2 and the guitar hero game.It'll keep you guys occupied for endless hours (as it did in Boston)LOL

9. skeet_man

guitar hero is the devil!

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

For the mattress, try the Twin Doubler.

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

get a toy box type trailer,,,put the golf cart in the back,,,get a lite duty safe the the guns in hard cases will fit in,and mount it in the toybox area,,,,and a small plastic gang box mounted to the floor for shells,,,,and a large plastic garbage can for hulls,,,,,the rear floors on a toybox are a bit sturdier than a standerd camper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.