1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter etiquette

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I saw the darndest thing the other day. I was shooting at a small 2 field club and took a break for lunch. New, to the club, shooter comes along and wants to shoot. Management introduced themselves and kinda gave the new shooter a brief desciption of how things were done and all seemed well.

A little later the new shooter comes back inside and asks for the targets to be reset. Management asks shooter why he wants a reset. Shooter says the targets are 1mph too fast according to his radar gun. Now I couldn't tell you what the recommended speed for a target is and how you would properly check for that speed. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

Management politely told the new shooter if he was worried about 1mph then maybe this wasn't the club for him. This club has been cussed at for everything under the sun at one time or another, but never for a bad target. I've never seen a shooter bring his/her own radar gun to the club. Is this becoming common place or was this guy just being overly anal about the targets he was shooting?

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that I should cover everything.

ss

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHA....now there is person with a screw loose! You should have told him to have his radar gun checked and then return with a certificate.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I doubt the best shooters in the world could tell a 1 mph difference in target speed. That shooter need to stick that radar gun you know where. That's almost stupid funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Matt

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Sounds like a skeet shooter having a little fun. Did you ask if he brought his hoop?

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Now that the inexpensive, very compact Pocket Radar is here (I bought one of the first out - they work great!), this is going to become common.

I see nothing at all wrong in requesting the targets be reset.

Bob Schultz sells the Pocket Radar at the above site. (The photo's from his anouncement here on TS.com.)

6. grntitan

MTA Tom-- Your joking right? I mean sure if the targets are high or low its expected that you can have them changed. Whipping out a radar gun and crying about a measily MPH is just freak'n stupid.

Matt

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"MTA Tom-- Your joking right? I mean sure if the targets are high or low its expected that you can have them changed. Whipping out a radar gun and crying about a measily MPH is just freak'n stupid."

Matt, we used to spend a lot of time at the Michigan Trapshooting Association making sure all 43 traps were set as close to the correct, identical speed as was humanly possible. Shooters like Kay Ohye often checked with their personal radar guns.

I repeat, I don't see anything wrong with shooters asking that the speed be adjusted. That doesn't mean management has to agree, but they should certainly be polite. Wouldn't it be better for management to actually check the speed or distance before blowing the shooter off?

8. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

The radars sell for about $200 & I've seen them used a few times last year. Not to report a 1 mph discrepancy. but used to check if the birds were WAY off standard speeds. Gotta be careful with tail & head winds using these devices, would be my take on these contraptions.

Useful -- I suppose to some degree...
    Practical -- debatable...
    Registered shoots -- leave that up to the club...

Jack

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

HAHAHA a good laugh had by all I am sure. Well we had a gentleman out to the club last week for league. He was certain the targets were a tad high. He asked that they be checked and adjusted. We watched as three of the clubs finest officers went out and adjusted the trap. They threw a couple targets for this fellow and he said they luck much better. The club officers came back to let us know that nothing was done to the trap! Strange people around these days. All the best.

J.F.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Now that the inexpensive, very compact Pocket Radar is here (I bought one of the first out - they work great!), this is going to become common."

If the rules for setting targets with the radar gun are not followed to the letter. Than how can someone standing at 16 yards and taking a reading ever produce the same reading as the setting that were taken according to the rules??? It would seem to me that every step in the setting procedure must be followed to the specs. If not the second reading is just a reference reading and can not be considered accurate. JMO

Bob Lawless

11. grntitan

MTA Tom--I certainly meant no disrespect towards you. I just kinda mirror what "chemist" above stated in that 1 MPH can be the +/- error in most electronic devices. I wouldn't recommend insulting any shooter but maybe doing as "Jack Frost's" story of not actually changing anything would be more appropriate. Seems some people just can't accept that they suck and need to make excuses such as buying their own radar gun to find something or someone to blame rather than themself. To each his own i guess............

Matt Parker

12. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

When I am the new shooter at a club, I keep quiet, and show respect for the long-time shooters there.

I am happy for the opportunity to shoot at a new club, and to shoot with new people.

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Thanks, Matt, I didn't take it personally.

My basic point was that the shooter's the customer, and management should respond appropriately.

Tom Stewart

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

1 mph?

Hey, this guy has EXCELLENT Club Geezer potential!!!

Does he whine when a semi-auto shooter lands a hull 2 feet from him?

Does he cry about which way shooters turn coming off Post 5?

Does he blame everyone else because he can't shoot well anymore?

The only problem with this fellow is that he's not the club President. He could fix your crappy targets and chase off all the young shooters at the same time!!!

-Gary

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

It must be a case of new toy issues. I am thrilled when the targets get within 5 feet of the marker in the field. Where I shoot we have wind that starts/stops several times a day, so target height and distance is ever changing. I love still days when the targets are just right, but heck we all shoot in conditions that are less than perfect all the time. And then there is Reno where I enjoy shooting when up there, but the targets look like a Koufax curve ball when he was at his best. Wind coming through the mountains up there is special.

If 1 mph really impacts his game, I hate to think what other mental issues cloud his mind when shooting.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm a little anal about correct target speed myself but........1 mph?? REALLY, I doubt there's 1 shooter in 100 who can tell the difference between a 41 mph target and a 43 mph target without a radar gun, that's 2 mph.

John C. Saubak

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Was his name Mike Kreynus? He is the only a$$ that I know of who would do that.

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It's actually funny.

19. tom pond

tom pond TS Member

WOW, shoot with me in south east Kansas, the wind blows 5 to 40mph at the drop of the hat, and out of the north, no wait now out of the north east, oops now out of the west. Go home and play some more nintendo or get real.

20. alf72

alf72 TS Member

You know what you old farts hate change !! talk to the kid and tell him that there is not much you can do on 1 mph . STOP running the YOUNG shooters off ! the sport is a dying breed. FOOLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.