1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot with a dot on glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FE DOG, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

I'm a right hand shooter right eye dominant. Trying a magic dot on my left lens. This seems to be helpful, although at time when locked on the target I see it through this blurry spot. I'm wondering if this is normal or do I need to adjust this dot. I have a colored lens useing a clear dot, maybe I should match the dot color to the lens? Your experience?

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have used a dot for the last 16 - 18 years. Some time I notice a blurry target thru the dot. Do not pay any attension to it. It does help if you match the color and put the dot on the outside of the lens.

3. JES

JES Member

On a clear day I don't notice the dot on the left lens, when it is harder to pick up a target my left eye will try and help, seeing the dot. While shooting between shots I will pick something out in the field and close my left eye making my right eye really focus it helps and shuts down the left eye while I shoot. Try this it may help.

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"I'm a right hand shooter right eye dominant"

Not sure why this is a problem????

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You should see the target with both eyes. The real problem is seeing the bead/rib with your non shooting eye and getting confused where your gun barrel is in relation to the target. The ideal situation is to not "see" the bead/barrel (even though you can in your secondary vision) but concentrate on the bird with both eyes. You are defeating the purpose of your binocular vision which allows your brain to make the calculation necessary as where to place the barrel and pull the trigger. You might as well shoot with one closed or use a complete patch over your non shooting eye.

I have never used tape or dots, but have used a blinder on the rib, but now I use the tube sights that allow only your shooting eye to see the glow sight inside of it. The glow sight allows you to be more aware of where your barrel is without "seeing" it. If your non shooting eye is more dominant than your shooting eye, make sure your optometrist has done all that can be done to correct that problem. If that problem cannot be fixed, then one should perhaps look at some other sighting device for the gun that will allow the more dominate eye to control the sight picture.

Cross firing is a problem for people but it can be dealt with. When I entered the police academy in the early 80’s, I was surprised how many people had this problem, but the instructors told these people to simply roll their head to the side so there more dominant eye could see the front sight while their “strong side” worked the pistol/revolver. Shooting a handgun requires looking at the front site, but a shotgun requires looking at the target. Don’t handicap yourself blocking your vision with one eye.

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Right handed, left eye. Took me about 3 weeks to get used to the dot. Only problem I have is with hard left targets and a low hold works for that. Have to remind myself to keep my head on stock to avoid looking for the target with right eye and pulling off. After getting used to the dot, I picked up 2-3 birds (D class). Rifle is one eyed and pistol I use left eye with a modified weaver.

7. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Should I be decreasing the dot size as I get more comortable with this process

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

FE DOG- It is probable that you will increase the size of the dot the more you shoot and this is not a problem. Binocular vision will increase the field of vision, but this is not good for looking at only the target. Binocular vision does help some with distance perception, but that is not a major factor when shooting targets.

You must look at the target, and only the target with the eye that is over the barrel. The disadvantage to blocking one eye is that it can cause an uncomfortable and awkward perception because you are mechanically changing the way your eyes are used to looking at things. This can, in extreme cases, affect balance and even lead to nausea.

Pat Ireland

9. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Vision-less,

To be a SHOTMAKER, one needs to utilize both eyes, unless you drove to the shoot
    with one eye closed, in which case you are 50% there. Will you now drive home
    with one eye closed. (NO)

The EAGLE keeps both eyes open when he Hunts. Think about that!

Just Sharing a thought,
    Gunnerx

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gunnerx- When I hunt deer I keep both eyes open, but when I shoot a deer, I use only one eye.

Pat Ireland

11. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Pat,Pat,

Like so many Trapshooters, you confuse a Shotmaker with a Tackdriver, one utilizes a Shotgun, the other a Rifle.

I know, you sleep with one eye open also.

Absent of Deference,

Gunnerx

12. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I am not sure why you are having a problem, if you are a right handed shooter and have a right eye dominate, you should not be having a problem.If this continues you might want to try the blade on your rib, this does a better job for me, I can not use a dot on my lense. I think it is made by a company called meadow .

13. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Well, shot well this past weekend with the dot installed. 96 in singles. Think I'll stick with it awhile. GAK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot dot for glasses when shooting