1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot while listening to Music??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tjwatc, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

I was wondering what everyone thought about shooters who were listening to music during registered events?

I have always been concerned with how well these people can hear, and if safety is an issue?

Any thoughts??

If we have shooters who do, does anyone know were to get the custom earpieces that fit into an iPod??

2. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

tjwatc,

I haven't done it for registered targets, but do in leagues... I don't see it as a safety concern.

I have the custom molded ones that were made with the mp3 player ear buds molded into them, with a hole through the plug... Likely not the best sounding for the musics sake, but ok... There are muffs out there that are likely much better...

I do especially like them for doubles... They seem to help with the rhythm of that game...

LWL

3. Gingervette

Gingervette TS Member

I sometimes listen to the music when I shoot. Sometimes I don't. It all depends on how I'm feeling that day. I also have turned it off during a round. I use it to keep the mind from wandering to far from what I'm doing. Its not turned up loud, it's just in the background if I need it. I use it as a refocus tool. It's also great for tuning out those very loud people that have no respect when someone else is shooting. Used it everywhere I shoot for whatever I shoot.

4. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Listening to music while on the Trap line helps me concentrate. Sent my custom molded silicone earplugs to have them fitted with a sound wire which attaches to the iPod. David McGee (tel # 903 560 0803) did a great job.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have used them to help with the distraction of a particular shooter on the squad.

Don

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pro ears work fine, the model with input connectors. The sound level from the Ipod is adjustable, and you can hear all the outside stuff adequately.

The molded earbuds may be a problem if you listen at too high a level.

HM

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not done it but am thinking about listening to music when I shoot doubles. Doubles requires a smooth swing and timing. If you just think about a lovely Strauss waltz, you start to smoothly swing your body. Tales from the Vienna Woods is my favorite. It might work.

Pat Ireland

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Done it once for 25 targets. Listening to ACDC and broke a 21. Shot the last 75 straight while listening to the world_around_me. That was enough experience for me.

Pat, I think Fifty Cent would work better for doubles....

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I shot one of my very best H-cap rounds and won over $1400 listening to a subliminal passage. I was definitely "zoned out" that day. Have used it off and on with mixed success since. I believe it helps eliminate "wandering thoughts" and improves concentration, but that isn't all of my shooting problems. What I need is someone/something kicking me in the ass when I make an obvious error. Pain is a great teacher and motivator!

AndyH

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Only problem I had was hearing scorekeeper on doubles. Everything else was great. Rock and roll to nature sounds. Depends on mood. Be careful about singing along as you send out targets ;)

11. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I use a ZUNE with custom molded earpieces from Keith Baker, Santa Margarita, Ca. This really helps to cut down on the distractions. At Kingsburg There are people 10' or less behind the shooters. Every once in a while they forget and get to yakking pretty loud. Also down the line starting at about C bank the 27yd post on the next trap is right beside you on posts 1 & 5. Using the MP3 player takes most of this out of the equation. I just pull the plug when it is time to change posts at doubles so I can hear the scorer.

Vince McNamara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.