1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot Where You Look Book and DVD need info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

I have just started shooting again after about 15 years on break and this time I'm shooting for fun, not work.

The book Shoot Where You Look by Leon Measures has been recommended to me and wanted to know if anybody out here has read it and thier thoughts on it.

I bought the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U to start with and since I still have 2 little ones at home but it doesn't seem to like to break but about 2/3 of the targets I point it at.

!#*#$^$#%#( gun! I wish it was the guns fault....

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Welllll... you probably aren't actually pointing the gun at the targets; it just seems like you are.

When you stopped shooting 15 years ago, little was known generally, about stock fitting, defined as how well the stock's dimensions fit the shooter's size and shape.

Stock fit and shooting form (gun mount, body posture, stance) affect how accurately a shooter will be able to shoot. As I sarcastically noted in the first sentence, your gun fit and shooting form is probably combining to make you believe that the gun is pointing at the targets when it is actually pointing somewhere else.

It can be explained by the eye's position relative to the rib when the decision is made to pull the trigger. The eye is not properly aligned with the rib. The head flapping around on the end of the neck is one possibility. Another is that the eye was in the wrong place to begin with.

The long and the short of it is that either your gun fails to fit you or an aspect of your shooting form, probably your gun mount and/or body posture, requires attention. Without a well fitting gun, the correct shooting form cannot be used.

Your last line may very well be accurate. It could easily be the Gun's fault, or more accurately, the gun's stock dimensions that do not fit you correctly.

Click on the Website URL above. The book will explain what's happening and offer solutions to fitting and form problems.

Rollin

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

"...15 years ago, little was known...about stock fitting..."

Thank God we had Rollin to bring us cretins into the bronze age!

Some day, he will be known as the Father of Modern Stock Fitting.

Pay heed, fly...you're talking to the Founder, CEO, and Main Source, right here.

4. flylta

flylta TS Member

Rollin,

Thank you for the site. I will be placing my order on payday and it is a mach better deal than Shoot where you look.

I have appreciated the knowledge gained from reading these forums.

I live in south florida and can't stand golf so I figured starting to shoot again was a much better way to spend saturday mornings and I can take the kids with me but being the competative sort I want to do everything I can to shoot at my full potential. From Reading your site I think this is the starting point for me.

I never imagined that you could feel so good after busting a piece of clay.

Looking for my first 25
    Ron

5. Rollin Oswald

Ron;

Can't stand golf? Can't stand waiting on every tee for the opportunity to tee-off? Can't stand waiting in the fairway in the blazing sun for a chance to chip to the green? Can't stand experiencing nature in the woods looking for a ball sliced out of bounds?

You just haven't learned how to embrace frustration, suffering, impatience and frequent failure, that's all - I am very familiar with that mind-set.

Seriously, I have not read "Shoot Where You Look" but shooting form and a gun that fits has to be required. I believe "Stock Fitting Secrets" will be just what you're looking for. It describes the correct trap shooting form and relates it to stock dimensions and your particular size and shape.

As a bonus, to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever sliced a ball out of bounds as a result of reading the book. I took particular care when writing it to avoid anything that could possibly stimulate a dominant slice gene for those of us who have it.

Rollin

6. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks for the laugh Rollin.

Looking forward to reading your book and breaking more clay.

Ron
    A new shooter in Florida

7. flylta

flylta TS Member

What should it cost to get a stock fitted? Or will I be able to fit my own gun with the knowledge gained from reading your book?

8. Rollin Oswald

Ron;

The cost of getting a stock fitted by one the good fitters varies somewhat but $150 might be a good average for the fitting plus any adjusters that may be necessary. I have not had a gun fitted recently so others who have, would be able to provide more accurate pricing.

The book was written to explain how shooters can fit their own guns when they do not have access to a stock fitter. You, with the help of a local gunsmith to provide and install an adjustment mechanism if one is needed, can fit your gun. It is a step-by-step procedure when you do it yourself and is why meeting with a stock fitter is quicker. If he is good, the final result will be the same.

With both approaches, it is best if you are willing to correct your shooting form, if necessary. In my opinion, fitting a gun to a flawed form makes little sense.

Rollin

9. smartass

smartass TS Member

I heard that Rollin invented stock fitting as well as the internet. Oh, maybe I have him confused with Albore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shoot where u look dvd
shoot where you look
shoot where you look book

shoot where you look dvd

shoot where you look video