1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot under a target, does it bounce up?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 5screw, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5screw

5screw TS Member

Ok, I just waded through 80 some posts on why a tailwind can't possible drive a target down. Here's a more pressing issue. Often times I have seen a target that has just been shot at jump up just as the shot charge passes. I have made the assumption that the shot string has passed underneath and air shock waves have pushed the target up. I reinforce this idea frequently when I know I have just shot under a target (at least I think I shot under. My know-it-all friends who think just cause they have college degrees in physics claim that's not so. Using the Bernoulli theory they say the shot charge passed over the target and caused a decrease in pressure which causes the target to jump up. I could almost buy this if I was not quite so sure I was under when I missed Under is my favorite place to miss so I see this effect more than I wish to. So enlighten me please, maybe my favoite place to miss is really OVER the target.

Bob

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yep ... you are correct in your assumptions to the effect of a fast moving shot charge under a target but you are forgetting that if it is a close under that the pressure that is forced on the underside of the target to cause it to jump will at times suck up a trailing flyer that is not solidly within the shotzone and thusly will at an aproximate 9.7% of the time chip/break the bird on any and all shot under birds but then again I aint a professor of trapology or anything like that but I did stay at a Raddison Suites once and that is better than a Holiday Inn.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

If in Australia with that conanadrumetical theory of whatever it is that makes a toiler run backwards would that same theory also work in reverse while shooting under a bird in trap and thusly then suck the bird down instead of bouncing it up?

These are really hard brainteasing questions to be thinking of on a Friday morning ... ;-)

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have seen it if the light is just right. I can see the shot string and the target goes up, down, left or right without breaking the target as the shot goes past. and always away from the shot string. Glenn

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

I wonder if shot size, load size and/or how much powder and what wad your using would have any effect at all in regards to how much the bird would jump or if it would jump at all?

Can a trap shooting expert possibly help us out with his knowledge and wisdom in these theory's?

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Methinks that the people who shoot under targets THINK they see them jump up because it creates a perfect excuse for the miss!

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

No it does not Mac ... there are legitimate scientific reasons for all of it ... it aint the shooter at all but its all about the science and the load and the shot and the everything else but it aint nothin about no excuses! ;-)

If you shoot to the right of the bird and the bird is spinning in a clockwise direction would it drag it to the right and if you shot to the left of the bird and the bird was spinning also in a clockwise direction would it counteract it all and fly straight?

Ah man ... these are some serious questions to be thinking of on a Friday morning, I think I need a drink!

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

First you must tell me your theory of target jump vs. shot size vs. barrel length vs. boat shoes or sneakers vs. long brimmed or no hat vs. who knows what and how it effects the scores of shooting rubber bands at high flying earth worms or maybe that would make for some very hilarious drinking conversation.

I not only think I need a drink I'm almost positive I need a drink! Shall it be Earl Grey or Orange Peakoe?

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Maybe the bird caught a wind current and bounced up just as you shot the target? They'll do that you know. I'm not sure if the shot string would have caused it though. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Walk out and pick that bird up and you'll probably find a few pellet holes in it, but not enough to break the target.

11. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

hairy may be close with his assumption, but I think it has more to do with 7 1/2s or 8s........merlyn...

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Merlyn you might be on the right squad but I think it might have more to do with 1oz or 7/8oz

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I very much prefer it when the target jumps into tiny pieces, creating a smokeball.

HM

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Thinking of #7-1/2's vs. #8's and also 7/8oz vs. 1oz has got me a wonderin ...

Now 7-1/2's are larger in size than 8's and I would thusly assume that with the larger size they would be displacing more air as they were projected threw the air and with using 7/8oz instead of 1oz loads you could propel that shot at a faster speed so would a load of 7/8oz load of 7-/12's make a target jump more than say a load of 1oz #8's?

Hey MIA ... pass the bottle already, my brain is startin to think and I needs some lubrication for it.

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I think Hairy may be on the right track.

Jim

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know Hairy ... you might be good enough to shoot to the side of a candle but not me. I would end up shootin at that candle just like it was a clay target flying out of the trap house and that candle would be blistered and blown apart just like I would do on the trap field. I'm good but I aint good enough to purposely miss off to the side of the bird.

BTW ... the flickering of a candle could also be effected by an odorous emission from any of our backsides but that same emission would not effect a flying target flying past our backsides. It would be a nice possible comparison if the weight and mass of the flickering flame would be the same as the weight and mass of the flying target.

Now would you suggest a little like birthday candle type flame or more like a tiki-torch type candle flame? Ya know sometimes there are candle flames and then there are some CANDLE FLAMES ... which type would you suggest?

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

On the equator it does not swirl at all ... its just like a major serious vacuum, so much of a vacuum that toilets on the equator are in there own separate chamber and the flush handle is on the other side of a vacuum blast proof door.

BTW ... it is a medical proven theory that if your degree is shoved way up your wazu that it clouds your vision the use of an equator toilet extraction could be recommended as long as you can find somebody to work the handle while you sit and hold on for dear life.

18. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Hey the whole ideal is NOT to miss the target. You are stuck in a negative line of thought. Considering the momentum that the target would have, if you shot close enough for the passing shot cloud to move the bird, you should have gotten some shot into it.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

So----if we follow the Bernoulli principle on this;

The shot passing >over< the target "sucks" the target UP and by the same virtue, a shot to the left must also make the target go left or a shot to the right would "suck" the target to the right. Kind of turns the whole "read the breaks" thing upsidedown??

OTOH, it would validate the value of a LONG shotstring, the front of the shotstring might "suck" the target over into the path of the rear of the shotstring? Hmmm----that begs for some research??

John C. Saubak

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

John ... your post just got me to thinking, I dont know why but it did. I wonder what would happen with the this theory of shooting under a target and making the target jump just how fast the shot would have to go to make the target jump and flip and just lose all momentum and just drop to the ground instead of flying on its intended path.

Anybody have any idea on the possible speed needed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.