1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot Trap and then low back pain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tburrey, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I'm 66 and have shot trap for 40 yrs. with no back pain problem. This last 6 mos. started getting this low back pain after each time I shoot. Always kept left leg straight and leaned forward to shoot. Last time tried bending the left knee with a little forward lean still got the lower back pain. It lasts for a week or two. Next week will try keeping weight on both legs with no lean and see what happens. Been to a chiropractor several times but doesn't help. He says it's from stretching those lower back muscles when I shoot. I exercise some by stretching etc. doesn't seem to help. Anyone else have this problem?

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

yep, almost the same thing, Chiropractor said my hips were misaligned, after a couple of cracks and stretches, starting to feel better.

tony

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Normally low back pain is caused by a big belly which puts lots of strain on the back muscles, especially when standing for long periods of time. If that is not an issue there could be some nerve issue from degenerative spinal condition. See a doc.

4. tburrey

tburrey Member

Appreciate everyone's opinion. If this continues I'll see my MD and try to figure out the problem.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Stretching helps. Change in foot position often helps. Try to find a foot position that takes the strain off your back when you mount the gun.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

yep, curvature of the spine, likely called by curvature of the belly.....

7. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I'd suggest you are probably making your turn to the target from the waist up and thus twisting your back. This along with the movement caused by recoil results in back strain. Dry practice at home staying locked from the waist up. slightly flex both knees, a little bend forward and turn from the ankles up so as to use the legs to drive to the target while avoiding turning at the waist. Dry practice to build muscle memory without worrying about hitting the target. Then go knock 'em dead on the field.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Alieve's will cure the pain. They won't solve the problem though.

ss

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Do you hold your gun up in between shots or rest it on a toe pad or barrel rest? If you aren't resting it in between shots, that may help.

10. drbortone

drbortone Member

Try to do some yoga - excellent stretching also as suggested above in the thread a big belly is also a burden on the back - nothing to do with shooting. You may want to loose some weight to see if this helps and try yoga - lots of stretching - Tiger does it every day.

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

drbortone I think Tiger stretched it a little to far. LOL. tburry The use of a toe pad helped me. Post-2

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Holding a gun, or any other 50 inch object that weighs nine pounds at a right angle to the backbone will put pressure on the lower back. Try holding a broom with one hand close to your body and then extend your arm.

Possibly, extending your left arm and gripping the forend very firmly could help a little. That may change the dimensions of the third class lever involved when holding a shotgun.

Pat Ireland

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide me with some great ideas on this lower back pain problem. I do put my gun on a rubber pad between shots so that part is OK. I do have some of that senior age spread at the belly that I'm constantly trying to get rid of. Need to loose probably 20 lbs. Trying to eat properly and ride my bicycle 10 miles a day four days a week and of course walk a couple miles in the evening four or five nights a week. Again thanks for your comments and tips. Tom

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My chronic lower back pain is due to stenosis on my lumbar vertabrae #'s 3,4 and 5. it may require surgery at some point but for now I get epidural cortisone injections every 3 months or so. They make life bearable, plus a chiropractor to keep me aligned properly...ain't it fun bein' a geezer?!!

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not have lower back pain but I have been told that I can be a pain a little lower than the lower back.

Pat Ireland

16. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I am a rather heavy person (anyone that knows me will attest to that!) and I used to shoot doubles with a vest. I would put both boxes of shells in the front pockets. After the 50 - 100 targets, my back muscles would hurt. I could shoot all day with just one box in the vest pockets with no problem. I switched to putting the shells in box holders and shifted them to my hips so that they were to the side rather than in front of my belly. No more back pain!

Gene

17. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

A good pair of properly fitted boots helps me out a bunch with lower back pain.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Exercise (cycling/walking) MAY help you loose weight but those activities and the weight loss will do little, if anything, to strengthen the muscles that you need to use to stand up and shoot several hundred targets a day. Losing weight makes you lighter but not stronger.

Riding a bicycle on the road, is, for most people, long periods of low-effort coasting connected by short periods of exertion. Really pointless if you need to build strength. Muscle pain is simply a sign of weakness in the muscles/ligaments/tendons trying to do the work.

You will lose more weight and improve your shooting performance if you enroll in, and regularly attend, a gym program targeted at muscle toning and endurance building. Muscle burns fat and toned muscles burn more fat=weight loss.

Walking and riding may do a little to improve your cardiovascular health but they will do nothing to address your back problems.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.