1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shoot to quick.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddottm1, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

What is causing me to shoot to quick? need help............

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your brain................

3. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

Maybe you are shooting when you think you should rather then developing a site picture then firing. Try seeing the target well,clearly then let her rip. This will slow you down and possible get you a few more.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

don't shoot till you clearly see the center ring of the bird.

this will give you something to focus on, you will be surprised how much your scores will pick up, no matter what the yardage.

tony

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Man, if you wait until you see the center of the bird, you're thinking too much.

It should be an instinctive process, see the target's flight path, swing, shoot, and follow through. I even have 20-10 vision, and I shoot very quickly.

I don't think I've ever seen the center of a bird, unless it's someone elses target. Maybe I've been doing things wrong for 35 years, but it's kept me on the 27 for that long, and probably only shot 25-30 100's, etc.

It should be a process when you really don't actually "see," but instinctively respone to stimlui.

If you are concerned that you shoot too quickly, watch the pros shoot!

IMHO.

WW

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

WW, great for you........I was just trying to give the ladd some advice to slow down a bit, I can pick this feature out as soon as the bird comes out of the house, if you practice this it will be an instinctive process.

what is it with everyone and their critical remarks???

there is nothing wrong with shooting at a feature on the bird.

tony

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I remember loading an old manual trap and then the Winchester electric trap in the 1960's. Some of them old boys shot so fast with their pump guns that a stray piece of bird would frequently almost make it into the trap house.

I remember one shooter that, bless his heart, always left behind a good supply of once fired Federal Papers. He was like a snake and shot Federal 3 dram 8's on the 16 from his Remington Model 31. He was a good friend and a Kentucky State Handicap champion. He is pushing 80 now but is still pretty quick. I used to quail hunt with him and he could get 3 on the rise and only shoot the cock birds. He used a 2 1/2" .410 bore skeet load for quail. "Bam, Bam, Bam and the dogs would soon be back with a mouth full of quail.

Be sure that you are not moving the gun in anticipation of the bird. See the bird, shoot the bird.

Ed Ward

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my buddy moves his gun the second he calls for the bird. Of course it is seldom in the right direction. He still shoots so fast I can't fathom how he does it but he corrects and whacks the bird to bits about 90% of the time. If he could get over that fast shooting he could be really good I think.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Talk to your Doctor since they might have a pill for that. They call it premature emasculation or something like that. It's not a problem unless the wife or girlfriend complains. Then it's HER problem. :)

BTW "To" "Too" "Two" Use the right one!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz got it right. When I am shooting well, I call for the bird, look at it and the gun seems to go off by itself. Shooting very slow and carefully does not work for me. It just gives me more time to lift my head.

Pat Ireland

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

rdtm-1, most times your shooting out of your comfort zone for control when you feel it's too fast. The speed WW speaks of is a very quick shot but within his controlled zone for breaking targets. Watching guys shoot that quick leads others to see it as a controlled chaotic attack. There's a few that can handle such quickness but most can't and shoot consistent scores. The important thing to learn is your personal timing needed to break clays consistently within your own comfort zone. I've watched guys shoot way out of control attempting to copy the quicker shooters with disastrous results! You can't merely learn how to shoot quick because someone else does it that way, you must learn what your personal timing to a moving clay happens to be for any consistency. Pointing accurately is the name of the game, not the of the speed of attack. Speed will increase with experience/success and make you a better shot in the long run. Great eyesight,good health and good hand and eye coordination are the necessary tools needed to shoot extremely quick. Frank Little wasn't a quick shooter but he was a deadly shot? Nora Martin Ross is probably one of the fastest one eye shooters I've ever watched shoot singles targets but she's an exception to the norm.

Hap

12. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

You probably are jumping at the target because you are looking right on the front edge of the traphouse--DON'T DO THAT-- Look out 15 or so yards beyond the front edge of the house,get your eyes on the target and let the gun follow your eyes--also DON'T look directly down the barrel when you call for the bird--look into the area where the bird is going to be--this will have you looking slightly ABOVE the barrel--when you see it,kill it, and don't forget to keep swinging--You DON'T HAVE TO SLOW DOWN just make sure you see the bird and don't chase a streak of the target as it leaves the house-in genearal the less time you take to THINK the better you will shoot.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This has always been the toughest problem to solve for me as a coach. Simply telling a shooter to slow down never worked. About the only advice I give, that sometimes means something, is to shoot when you're on the target. Proper impact adjustment, especially higher, sometimes helps!!

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hold point and focus point contribute to this.

A changing trigger pull can also spell disaster. Check it.

Shooting well is a rythem neither too slow or two fast but it is different for all of us.

Shoot well Joe

15. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

For a while I always missed the first bird, but shooting singles I got it with the second barrel. Hmm. Decided to take a little more time. When you are really in the groove, the bird -- everything seems to be in slow motion...

Anyone else experience this?

16. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

As AveragEd would say, "WAIT FOR IT!"

That advice has helped me tremendously, Thanks, Ed.

LA in MA

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This has always been the toughest problem to solve for me as a coach. Simply telling a shooter to slow down never worked. About the only advice I give, that sometimes means something, is to shoot when you're on the target. Proper impact adjustment, especially higher, sometimes helps!!

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hold point and focus point contribute to this.

A changing trigger pull can also spell disaster. Check it.

Shooting well is a rythem neither too slow or two fast but it is different for all of us.

Shoot well Joe

19. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

For a while I always missed the first bird, but shooting singles I got it with the second barrel. Hmm. Decided to take a little more time. When you are really in the groove, the bird -- everything seems to be in slow motion...

Anyone else experience this?

20. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

As AveragEd would say, "WAIT FOR IT!"

That advice has helped me tremendously, Thanks, Ed.

LA in MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap and shot quick