1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot Those O/U Barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dolphin77, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I was reading an article by Average Ed in a Shotgun Sports about adjusting the comb, pad, rib, etc on your gun. He suggested to start by adjusting the gun's comb and pad on the O/U (if you're shooting a combo) and when you get it right to move on to the single barrel. Well it started me thinking that I had never shot my O/U barrels...so this weekend I did and was I surprised at how well I shot them and how good the shorter barrels felt at 16 yrds...give it a try...WC

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There was a recent thread with a photo showing Leo Harrison and Paul Shaw shooting off at one of the Satellite Grands at the Dollar. They were both shooting their O/U barrels for singles. Bill Malcolm

3. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

PerazziBB...I have never seen or heard of any auto doubling. But know that OU guns do. Autos, as we know, sometimes fail to shoot doubles. My 1100 did just that so now I drive the big German. Which, BTW, has not doubled. Yet.

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Gosh , what a novel thought, putting over/under barrels on my Sporting clays 390. I guess being non-mechanical, I never thought of that. Boy would I not be the envy of everyone at the gun club, a soft shooting auto with 2 different chokes. I guess my next question would be , do I need two triggers ( both release) and 2 safety's? Last time I looked at the receiver I doubt there is room for two triggers, but then , again, I am not a mechanic. I am always looking for ways to upgrade my game. A statement I have seen in the medical literature I have always liked ( paraphrased) " if you see something novel, you should try it soon before it is proven not to work". Even doctors , sometimes, can have a sense of humor.

Charlie

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have seen many shooters, AAA down, using the O/U bbl.s on singles. Some of the reasons being, more open choke in bottom bbl., lower felt recoil in bottom bbl., heavier bbl. reduce stoping swing, same swing & feel for sgl.s & doubles. Take your pick.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If O/U are so great why do those shooters switch to single barrels for handicap?? Look down the line and you will see more single barrels then O/Us for 16's, so use what you want. This thread is kind of more useless information.

Don

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Mike ... if your shooting singles or handicaps just how can an autoloader double on you unless your loading more than one shell in the gun at a time for singles or handicap.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

When your averages get higher let us know and then maybe, just maybe your advice might have some merit.

Don

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Now, about that flinch......

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mike the only Following Big Don has he sits on .

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Mike, I think the game plan is to go to a 34" or longer barrels for handicap to aid the sighting plain on long targets. A 34" O/U, though shot by Sporty pros alot, can be tough to master mentally. It's more of a mind game, but weight can be an issue too. Few know the Perazzi Mx2000 34" can be lighter than an MX8 32". I tried it, but didn't like it, especially on close targets. Too whippy. Do trap doubles work with a 34" barrel set? Depends how you fast you shoot'em, and what weight barrels/gun work for you. Consider this..you shoot 32" Perazzi barrels with extended briley chokes. How long are your barrels?

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Mike

I beat my (terrible) flinch with sports hypnosis. I added the positive re enforcement that recoil was a positive thing. It means the freight is on the way to the target! I am having fun again. Between Intl' disciplines, and my status as a Defensive Firearms Instructor, going to a release was something I needed to avoid for now. Smart folks may be able to shoot both. I never claimed to be smart!

Don't worry about Don. He is shepherding our fragile ATA. Sometimes he jumps the gun, but I doubt he means to belittle folks. It just comes out that way.

Someone needs to look out for it. I have been a member of NSSA since 1958, and it is about GONE in my area. Registered shoots are hard to find!!

I sure hope the ATA does not get in the same shape.

At the same time, we need more Bunker fields. Shooting ABT out of American Trap houses is fun, but not the real thing. Gas is getting high to make the trek to Bunker fields every week.

BTW, I bought a Browning XT 32" with incredible wood. The first time I shot Caps with the top barrel (100% high), I shot a 98 off the 27. Bottom barrel is 90%. I am half Native American (Apache), have high cheekbones, and a terrible disposition. LOL

It IS ALL GOOD. Targets in the air, good folks having a good day. Let's make sure we pass this heritage to the next generation of shooters and champions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.