1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot the L.C. Smith or buy another single barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by napawino, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently purchased an Olympic Grade L.C. Smith Trap Gun. The gun is in 95% plus condition and was manufactured in 1929. I have had the gun about 3 months and I enjoy shooting it. Several members of our local club think I should retire the gun and get another single barrel. I shoot twice a week and usually shoot three rounds each time.
    Should I continue to shoot it or should I put it away and get another single barrel to shoot?
    Thank you,
    Fred Wiedemann

2. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

my opinion is why own a gun you dont shoot but this one i dont know will pry just keep going up in value and id be scared of getting dings in wood it would look good hanging above my fire place

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shoot it! There is a guy around here who shoots an "Elsie", he just grinds the crap out of the birds. It must have one hell of a choke in it.

Shoot it.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I enjoy shooting my old SBT's. They are not my main competition gun but they just grind up the targets. You would be doing the master gunsmiths a disfavor by not shooting them. However parts are quite hard to find but if your only shooting 75 rounds a week through it, it will last a lifetime.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You bought the gun to shoot and you wenjoy shooting it keep shooting it and buy another gun anyway. That's the only option that makes sense

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'd shoot it but I'd probably use 1 oz loads.

7. Urbans

Urbans Member

Last Fall I bought a pristine Winchester Model 12 20 ga. Skeet gun. A hunting friend of mine said "WQW", I'd put that under the bed and watch the price go up. I put it in the closet until Quail season began, what a fun gun to hunt with. Enjoy the gun, they were made to use, and $ is not everything!!!!!! My opinion, but that is what counts in my head.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like you have any desire to part with the gun so by all means shoot it and enjoy what a wonderful gun it is. The rest of us will just be envious.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

fred, did you buy it as an investment or for enjoyment?

10. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought the L.C. Smith to shoot. I enjoy the gun and the fun of seeing the looks I get when I take it to the club.
    It is very tightly choked and the birds are just a black puff, if I do my part.
    Fred Wiedemann

11. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

I shoot my Parker SBT on days without rain or snow. Many people comment on it and I most always offer them a chance to shoot it if they want. I've made several new friends and enjoyed talking guns by doing this.

12. JHS

JHS TS Member

Fred:

I have an old model 21 that is obviously going up in value. Last year I took a once in a lifetime pheasant hunting trip to SD and agonozed over whether or not to take the 21.
    Would it rain?
    Would the airline lose it etc,etc.
    Short story is I took it, spaent a week and got my limit of pheasants. MAy never do it again, but have memories for a lifetime.

Jim

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have several old SBT's and shoot all of them. I plan on using a different one or rotating them at every ATA shoot I shoot at this summer. Shoot it and enjoy it. You will not wear it out or hurt the value if you take care of it. On another note I do shoot lite loads, but that is what I shoot with my modern competition guns also. Collect some other ones and enjoy them also. Bill

14. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Shoot It! I have a few old Trap singles that I take out for our weekly club
    shoots. I even shoot the Three Barrel Gun Co. once or twice a year. What fun!
    And enjoy talking to others at the club about these fine old trap guns.
    SPORTALLURING

15. Bridger

Bridger Member

I think the LC Smith collectors association recommends that you keep pressure under 8500 PSI which should not be hard to do.If the gun is in good shape, shoot the right loads in it and enjoy.

16. welderman

welderman TS Member

My advice is to shoot it if you enjoy shooting it. I have several L.C. Smiths that were purchased for collecting. I don't shoot them because they don't fit me and I don't enjoy shooting them for that reason. I recently picked up another one at an auction. It fits me just fine and I intend to shoot it as long as I can. welderman

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shoot it and enjoy it! I own a Mod 12 Pigeon grade trap made in 1929. Untill I got it as a gift from a close friend it had never been fired. I shoot it every chance I get. Enjoy the gun if you enjoy shooting it and buy another gun too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.