1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot Offs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

How many of you will pass up a shoot off ?
    I've done it many times, this past weekend I did it again.
    I didn't feel like hanging around for 6 hours, shoot a box or two of shells for a $25 voucher. I'd rather be headed home and beat the traffic.
    I let another shoot off pass as I had dinner plans with friends and only heard my name called as I left the club.
    Yet another time I passed because I really wanted the other guy to win the small trinket as he had never won anything before.
    I enjoy shooting, but shoot offs leave me cold, flip a coin or it's your's.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They can be a waste of time and money. HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why even go to a shoot with the intention of winning if yer gonna wuss out when the time comes just because it's not convenient to go through with it?

Keller

4. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I look at shoot offs as free practice targets. Plus you get practice at controlling your nerves and staying focused.

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Seems like you are just shooting expensive practice targets if you are not willing to follow thru with a shoot off. Shoot-off is the real test.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bet you don't like "the Chase", or any of the playoffs for sports either?

7. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

I think shootoffs should be first missed bird looses Bill

8. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have to agree with Idahobill, in shoot offs it goes on for 25 targets. If both have a 23 or 24 or any tied score itkeeps going. In carry overs it's the first target lost. Why the change of rules?

9. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I would go with the first bird missed if everyone shoots from the same post. Not all post are the same bird. Figure in the wind sun back ground and so on. When and if they call my name I would like to shoot all 25 and more.

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bernie -

You are incorrect. In a carry over it's based on the score of the next sub-event, and if tied in that sub-event it moves on to the next.

Miss and out would be fine if everyone started on the same post.

Scott

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

When I first got into the ATA. I went to the NJ State Shoot, got penatilize 2 1/2 yards because I didn't have the required targets, shot from the 22 1/2 yard line and tied with a gentleman for a shoot-off. In the shoot-off we both tied 3 times, then were told of a 10:00 curfew & and We'd have to come back the next day. This gentleman says he couldn't make it, but I could. I was new and didn't know I could object, the shoot committee decided to flip a coin. I was devastated, I lost the flip. I ended up getting a mug holder for second, earned another yard on top of the 2 1/2 yd penalty (3 1/2 yds in one day)
    And I was determined a loser because of the flip of a coin and not my ability. A bitter lesson learned

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Miss and out clearly allows the best shooter to win. If the concern is that "not all posts are the same bird", then all 5 shooters (there would only be 5 on a field as shoot offs are presently conducted) could start on station 1 and proceed "miss and out" moving from station 1 to 2 and so on. If you miss, you are out. I know, I know...someone will whine that I got a hard left on station 1 and missed and everyone else got straightaways...waah, waaah, waah. If you missed a hard left on station 1, you are NOT the best shooter. Another solution - lock the trap to throw a straightaway from station 3 but have all 5 shooters start at 1 and proceed as above. The current system doesn't allow the best shooter to win...only the "lucky" ones who get "easy" targets from each post. Flame away. Best Regards, Ed

13. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

I got in my very first shoot-off this Sunday. Asked whether I wanted to shoot or flip for it, I went with the first option. Nervous as all heck, I lost by one bird. My competition won't be so lucky next time. :)

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your opinions, I out grew my competitive needs after high school and college 50 years ago. Trap shooting is my source of enjoyment, I only need to beat myself on my last score or match my average, could give a rats' a** what joe blow is shooting next to me. I will leave a shoot if the weather turns bad, poor shoot management, bad targets or it just isn't fun. Trap shooting is not my job, I don't HAVE to do it. I've been shooting registered trap since 05, in that time I've been involved in about a dozen shootoffs, losing only one (my fisrt one)
    If I'm still at the club when they are called, and if I still feel like I'm having fun I'll join in, if not I'm outa there. I always give my opponent a choice of a coin flip or shooting, it's been about 50/50 over those years, some feel the same way I do about shootoffs. Hey, if you enjoy shootoffs, that's great, it's just not something I need anymore.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Your POV is valid but I don't see any need or value for you explain yourself to people who already have a different perspective on the subject.

Keller

16. alf174

alf174 Member

Handicap I shoot, singles I pass. jbmi, was it Sunday? The two guys shooting off Sunday went about 6 rounds. Only one of the 100s played the Lewis, it paid $657. The handicap with 6 guys on three different traps went one round.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A trapshoot is a competition between you and the rest of the field or your class and is not resolved until a champion is declared.

To shoot against ones'self you can do that anywhere and I really don't buy it.

A shootoff is when you put your big boy pants on and go out against the other best shooters and determine who the final winner is.

To flip for class, yardage or category is one thing but for event champion no way. You can't tell me the personal pride of knowing you were event champion doesn't mean anything to you.

Don

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If I wanted to flip coins I can stay home & do that. NO I'd go FISHING. I've lost every flip I ever got into, but have about a 50----50 average on shootoffs. Never did shoot a lot & even less now, but sure do enjoy it. Ross Puls

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Gotta shoot off. The more the shoot offs your in, the better prepared you'll be if you get in a big one. Don't pass them up unless you have a good reason like a wedding or a birthday. Something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.