1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot-Offs, Miss and Out or Full Round?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YODA100, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

In shoot offs where each competitor shoots the same bird from the same station,(bunker, skeet and sporting) miss and outs work fine. Trap shooters do not shoot the same birds and do not like miss and out for that reason. I personally do not have a problem with M/O for trap but I am betting that I am in the minority. The trend seems to be to make it easier.

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

if time is an issue, then shoot 2 per station and do your whole round, doesn't take too long, and eliminates the concern you mentioned about starting on your bad station.

d

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I favor miss and out. To clarify the discussion, in skeet, the whole game changes for shoot-offs. Instead of shooting a regular round (like the shooter has to do to get into a shoot-off), each shooter is required to shoot pairs of doubles from stations 3, 4, and 5...miss and out. Trap prolongs the process by simply shooting regular rounds. Most trapshooters would go bananas (object loudly to put it mildly) if you required them to switch to doubles with miss and out to settle shoot-offs. I can see the "fairness" issue as noted by perazzi2, but miss and out adds to the "pucker" (pressure) factor and would certainly speed things up. It really determines who the best all-around shooter is, but it will never happen. Best Regards, Ed

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

and if you don't shoot doubles, wow that would be fair. most shooters, not the big dogs, most average shooters, shoot less doubles, and some none at all

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

missed some, you are absolutely right, for sure...I have tried, but do NOT shoot doubles for several reasons. I was just explaining the difference between trap and skeet shoot-offs...but leaving things as they are for trap shoot-offs, I would still favor miss and out. Regards, Ed

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Maybe it should be an option for those involved in the shoot-off.I myself would prefer a miss and out/sudden death type shootoff with the increased pucker factor.

7. staynumz

staynumz Member

If you cant get off station 3 you dont deserve to win anyway. Station 4 is where it is at. Get to staion 4 and the men will get seperated from the boys....unless you get beat by a girl then...well, hell, now I am depressed...

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Full rounds.

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Don't forget that shooting pairs is a regular part of a round of skeet, that is why you shoot the game with an O/U.

10. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

most singles shootoffs are a miss and out, and your still shooting full rounds.

11. msmith

msmith Member

If you trying to keep or gain members, I would shoot full rounds. I do know some skeet shooters who are very good shooters but can not shoot doubles. Two of them stopped shooting registered skeet because they would shoot a nice score and be done on the 1st double in a shoot off. Mike

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

and I thought we were talking about trap.........sorry, i have no opionionon skeet

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Full rounds are a better way to determine which shooter is truly superior; the state of mind of each shooter will change with each miss. It only makes sense to me to make the psychology of the event a critical element of the shoot-off.

MK

14. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

In some of the bigger skeet tournaments you will see a full round of doubles (Station 1 thru 7, then reverse flow back to Station 1) for all those tied for HOA. This is shot with the 410. High guns still tied after these 24 shots then go to M&O on Stations 3,4,5.....again with the 410.

It doesn't take long for the riff-raff to flame-out on the full round of doubles with the 410.

PS: I'm not riff-raff yet....just a wanttobe.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Full round, I've been known to miss the first target and go on to win the shootoff

John C. Saubak

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Whatever the club decides and for what ever reason is okay with me ... If its a Championship event I think it should be full rounds but for the average normal everyday event it don't matter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. twostraight

twostraight Member

We shoot full rounds for 2 rounds and if still shooting, change to miss and out.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This was started about trap. Why would we care how they shoot skeet shoot offs, especially the dumb statement station 4 is where it is at.

Don

PS before you get spastic I have been in skeet shoot offs.

19. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Miss and out just like live flyers. Jr

P.S. Never shot skeet. Will do it when I get old or cant win at trap.

20. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

if it is miss and out and you are shooting pairs what happens if the person misses the first bird and hits the second of the pair vs. the other person misses the second target and hits the first. I guess that the first to miss is out. Yes or no. thanks motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.