1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shoot off, rule question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shark1, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

The question comes from a shoot off at Millington, MD, D class singles. A person was told that during a shoot off the persons feet must be touching a pretend line down the center of the box. Is this statement true? And if so were can it be found in the rule book? If true then why do we not have a center line painted in the box for regulation? I was under the impression that your feet must be in the box.
    Thank You,
    Mike Sharkey, DC
    mike_sharkey@yahoo.com

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Mike, you didn't get a rule book when you joined? Yes, it states that one foot must be on an imaginary line from the post to the center of the trap, or something close to that effect. Rule book is out in the truck

Page 32 E.10 explains it all.

Gne J

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

That sounds correct, but it's unclear to me how you can shoot without at least one foot not touching the center line, as long as both feet are in the box. What brought up the subject?

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Rule E10 states: "The contestant must stand with at least one foot on an imaginary line drawn through the center of the trap and continuing through the center of the post, OR have one foot on each side of the line".

Sounds like you can straddle the line. I shoot his way, so that my body is bisected by the imaginary line.

Best,
    Dennis

5. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Shark, I guess to answer your question, no the rule that was cited was not 100% accurate.

If we had a line, then we'd have to have a rule about how wide the line should be.

Tom

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Tom, how can ya measure an "imaginary" line? It can be as wide or narrow as the shooters imagination.

Gne J

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe that this rule was implemented when the started making some of the pads really wide in order to accommodate chair shooters. Non-chair shooters were sometimes taking advantage of the wider boxes by standing closer to position 3 on each of the other stations.

Ed Yanchok

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The only real advantage to not standing with one foot on or over this imaginary line is in shooting singles from post one and five . I find it hard to not to have a foot on or over this line shooting handicap .

I have at times seen and heard people talking about shooters that stand at what would be called post 4 1/2 or post 1 1/2 shooting singles .

ALF

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

This has long been one of my pet peeves. Over the years I've seen more than a few shooters standing to the "inside" of the box, especially on posts 1 and 5. This happens most frequently when at 16 yards. Not all pads are poured the same. I've seen a single slab of cement at 16 yards nearly 5 feet wide, and the shooter on post 5 standing at the far left side of this slab. Call it what you like, I call it cheating.

Steve j

10. shark1

shark1 Member

Thanks, question answered. I can not argue with such source of page number and paragraph. I have been shooting a little over seven years, so I still feel green to the game. I usually register thousand - 2 thousand targets a year. (I would like to shoot more but 2 kids and a Chiropractic practice keep me going)

11. shark1

shark1 Member

Bobdog,
    The subject had occured during the end of shoot off at millington MD. The ref informed my friend that this rule had been in place and you could be disqualified for such action, (or lack there of). please note the ref was polite about it. ( does make a difference in my book). Trap shooters in general are about 98% fine people overall. Thats what keeps me coming back for more lost targets.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Mike, was this a particularly wide slab where it was possible to avoid touching the centerline of the post? I don't recall ever seeing one.

And Steve, if the rule is being followed, and the centerline is being touched, I don't think you can call it cheating. I'll crowd the inside of the box, being careful to avoid a foot fault and touching the centerline. If you're calling me a cheat, please explain why. Would you call it cheating if, for whatever oddball reason, I crowded the outside of the post? Is there some sort of unwritten Steve Rule I don't know about?

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gne J- Above you asked "how can ya measure an "imaginary" line? It can be as wide or narrow as the shooters imagination". But a line does not have any width, only length.

Pat Ireland

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

shark1 you asked "The question comes from a shoot off at Millington, MD, D class singles. A person was told that during a shoot off the persons feet must be touching a pretend line down the center of the box. Is this statement true?"

Not entirely the rule refers to all events not just shoot offs. As far as disqualification is concerned Maybe in shoot off but the rule does not refer to disqualification just no targets for all targets broken and lost for all targets missed.

The rule you wish to locate is at the web address above. In Section VII Official Scoring Paragraph E. No Target Sub Paragraph 10.When firing, the contestant’s feet must be behind the firing mark at 16-yards, or behind the mark for the Handicap yardage assigned to him/her, depending upon the event being participated in. The contestant must stand with at least one foot on an imaginary line drawn through the center of the trap and continuing through the center of the post, or have one foot on each side of the line. Exceptions to the rule contained in the second sentence of this paragraph may be granted by the referee/scorer due to inequalities in the shooting platform, and shall be granted for wheelchair contestants. Wheelchair contestants shall position their
    chair so that the center of mass of their body is over the place where
    they would stand as required by this rule if no chair were used. If a
    contestant fails to follow this rule in its entirety, the referee/scorer shall
    rule any target fired at and broken a “NO TARGET,” but if fired at and
    missed, the referee/scorer shall rule the target “LOST.” For example,
    targets shot at and broken from the wrong yardage marker must be
    shot over, targets shot at from the wrong yardage marker and missed
    will be scored “LOST.”

It would seem prudent that all shooters adhere to this rule at all time or be prepared to pay the consequences.

Bob Lawless

15. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Back when the score keeper was also the puller, before voice calls, a savy puller who new the rules would not pull a target for any shooter until all shooters were in position. That included persons standing off-center on the post.

Michael Stephenson

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat:

I don't know how to determine the width of the imaginary lines on trap fields but the painted center lines of highways definately have a measurable width.

sissy : )

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The idea is to make it so you do NOT stand on one extreme side of the walkway to favor certain targets.

Feet are supposed to straddle the "imaginary" line.

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You just make sure the heel or toe of one foot is touching the center of the pad and your home free.....

19. NintyT

NintyT Member

Bobdog,

Picture this. You're standing back behind the field, looking straight down post 1. The shooter that is shooing post 1 is no where in line with the walkway where one would stand when shooting on any other yardage. In fact, the shooter is 2 feet to the right of the right edge of that walkway. The shooter is trying to cut down the angles. He is obviously not near the "centerline". Just because the pad of cement is very wide at the 16 yard line (probably to save labor when the field was poured) he is not on the required post. This is cheating. I think we're just having trouble picturing what one another is saying here. Hopefully I've explained my version sufficiently. Crowding the box, while still touching that centerline, is certainly not cheating. Thanks Steve J

20. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

"The idea is to make it so you do NOT stand on one extreme side of the walkway to favor certain targets. Feet are supposed to straddle the "imaginary" line."

Whiz, I respect your opinion, but that's just not the way the rule reads, from where I sit. You seem to be quoting the newly declared Steve Rule. Feet are supposed to straddle OR TOUCH the line. Pretty clear, it seems to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.