1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOT OFF AGAINST YOUR KID, LAY DOWN OR NOT?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    one of my dreams would be to shoot with my son or daughter. my best friend was, and still is a good shooter. he has 2 sons, one shoots ata and is a very good shooter. he beat leo in a handicap shoot off at the waukesha state shoot on year. leo was on 27 and he was on 20, but he still beat leo. few people can say that they beat leo. leo was very nice to him, congratulated him. at the grand that year, that same young man, took 9th and the grand american handicap. leo made sure that he went up to him to congratulate him. i talked to my friend, and i asked him, if you ever got into a shoot off against your son, what would you do? he said i would beat his hind end like a red headed step child. a fellow shooter that over heard us talk, said if he was in a shoot off against his son or daughter, he might just let them win, but would never tell them. we both said we would try and beat them and give 100%. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION???????? anyone ever been in a shoot off against a relative?
    steve balistreri

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hell know ... let them work and earn it and in the long run they will be far better for you teaching them that what they earn in life is far more pleasurable than what is just handed to them like a welfare recipient.

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Right on time.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm in a shoot-off of sorts against my daughter once a week in our summer trap league. Bragging rights are in the balance.

Usually I win, but occasionally, she wins out.

In answer to your question, even playing field, I play to win, she plays to win, and neither backs down. She wants to knock me off the podium and be the best shooter in the family. She knows, and expects, I will never "let her win."

5. laura!

laura! Member

I shoot with my husband and son, often on the same squad. My son never misses after my husband and I do, so we don't let it bother us when he misses. Never been in the shoot off situation with them. If it was against my husband, we'd both be in it to win, but against my son? I'll never tell.

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

First: Show them how its done.

Second: Lose to them for a bit to bring up confidence, but only lose by one target.

Third: As the child gets better you better shoot your best or they are gonna beat you at every shoot!!

I would rather be beat by my child than another shooter. It is fun to watch how they grow and gain experience in shooting targets. Especially if you have been their coach!!

WesleyB

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What the Lumper meant was...."Hell No.....let them work and earn it.....". I ditto that to! Hell, they may just beat you outright!

8. Remo

Remo TS Member

For those who said they might lose to their child on purpose in a shoot off, I say this: I hope they have never read this site/thread, seen your comments, because if they have ever been in a shoot off with you in the past, or in the future, you have taken away any pride they might have had if they had won. My son knows I’ll never let him win on purpose, that he has to beat me. When he does, there is a pride that I can see that warms my heart, he knows it was a job well done.

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Hey WesleyB -

How did that forearm work out for you?

Jeff

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

If your kid is good enough to be in a shoot-off, he/she doesn't need to be given any targets by ol' dad. Whip him while you still can.
    I shoot with my son, and if there's one person I want to beat, it's him. :) Usually, I do....but not always.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You would be doing your kid a great dis-service by throwing a match to let them 'win'. If a kid is mature enough to compete at a shooting sport they have been around long enough to be able to detect when the old fart is sandbagging. Don't cheapen their victory, make it a stand up event you can both be proud of. (it will happen eventually)

12. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

My father beat's me most of the time, occasionally I get lucky. We both alway's shoot our best. There's no need for him to drop a target. This way it gives me a little something to strive for, TO BEAT THE OLD MAN.

Thanks, Mike

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

not gonna do either party a favor to roll over...shoot like you mean it..every time!!

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I would not let them win. I would tell them that someday they will beat me but that they have to earn it and work for it. When that day does come I will be proud of them for doing so.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

give them all you got...they will respect you more for it in the end...because in the end they will wonder the same thing..'should I let dear ol pops win just one more"

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I never left my son beat me in a Trapshoot or a Pool match. Of course, who's to say I could beat him in a shootoff. Watching my kid perform in shootoffs as an ATA All-American made me realize I really wouldn't want to shootoff against him-I'd probably lose!!

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

Never drop a shot for anyone. Let them know they have to "beat" you if they want to be the winner. My grandson shot in a pistol league with me and I gave him my best .38 Special and .22rf to shoot. The times he turned in better scores than I did I was damned proud of him and told him so. We are best buddies.

18. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Interesting the insight people have. Letting them earn it is best. If they are really young encorage them. The times I shot with my son and daughter was the best. To see their competion with one another and then trying to dad in. No reason smart people realize that some of the best society has to offer is found on the range or in a boat fishing. Just a little insight all my life I try to outshoot dad. He is always the percentage man. Always thought I was crazy because I shot clays. He always considered it a waste. He grew up during the great depression. Always considered him a great snap shooter. Once in the field everything was on for me,shot 53 out of 61. Called him that night thinking I finally bested him. He listened as always and then told me when I could do 49 out od 51 I was doing good. Still trying it. I'm sure he could still out shoot me and he is 83.

Shoot Well

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If we're talking about a younger kid, I'd put in the tighest choke possible with the smallest shot load in my gun, but I'd shoot to win. It puts a reasonable handicap on myself, yet I'm not deliberately sandbagging. He'd have to earn it, not have it given to him.

If we're talking about older offspring who are experienced trapshooters, play to win.

20. nicky

nicky Member

Put it this way , If your going to out live your kids, ya maybe give them one. But the law of averages is on their side that they'll have more chances and time to win a shoot off. So compete fair and may the best shooter win.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.