1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot near Chicagoland this weekend????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I am looking for a shoot in the Chicagoland area this weekend. I would prefer a nonregistered fun shoot. Anyone know who might be shooting?

Forrest

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Hey Forrest.

Saturday morning you can shoot at Aurora or Elburn. I don't know about the Downers Grove club in Morris.

Sunday you can shoot Elburn in the morning or Naperville in the afternoon.

Beyond these options you can shoot games at West Chicago on Mondays, but I've never done it. I don't know the details.

Check out the link above for definite times.

See ya.

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I went to St Charles today. That was a pretty nice club. They were using enough traps to keep the flow going smoothly. If it werent so far away I would consider joining. I guess that 5 bucks a round is about par for the course up here. In west ky we were still throwing targets for 2.50 a round :) Such is life.

Forrest

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Forrest,

Don't get too use to it...

St. Charles, like Downers, is due to eliminate its public access due to 501c7 tax issues.

Jay

5. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

From the little that I understand, all of these "tax" problems with "visitors", "reciprocals" , "guests" that is happening with the clubs in this area falls back to the audit that a couple of malcontents forced upon Frankfort. <br>
    The clubs have been advised that "visitors", "walk in guests" or "reciprocals" are not within the rules of a 501c*** organization and COULD be cause to lose the clubs "not for Profit" status. So far Northbrook, Downers Grove and Frankfort have ended their reciprocals with all the other clubs. Jay states that St. Charles will do this also. My understanding is that the only non members that are allowed are "guest of a member" that the member shoots with or pays for the "guests" shooting fees. <bR>
    It seems like the future will see that most clubs in this 501C** status will eliminate reciprocals and walk in guests in order to keep their not for profit tax status.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

St. Charles is revising their membership levels right now. I don't know the details because they're keeping them out of the public forum. I'm not a member, but have shot there alot. I like it there too. It's a 30 minute drive from Nap. and that beats the hour drive to Morris and Waterman (when Aurora moves there next year). All the more reason to shoot Naperville. Our 36 cases of wads for steel are nearly sold and wobble league is going strong.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Daily membership? Say a $1?

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

It is not whether or not they will lose there tax exempt status or not but under 501c7 status ... if my memory is correct ... you are allowed up to 35% or your gross receipts to come from outside sources other than directly from your membership and any amount above 15% of that income is taxable as well.

Sounds like they need to have a membership drive and those that are there all the time become members and thusly ... the money collected from them is not part of the problem funds.

Just think of it ... increase the membership and it generates more membership dues and thusly increases the overall gross receipts of the club and thusly again raising the percentage of money you can take in from outside sources.

Joe ... you could possibly be used as an example of why what is happening is happening in St Charles. Join the club and support them and as a member possibly most of the tax issues could be avoided and help the club expand to promote the sport to many more shooters.

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Lumper -

There is another way to look at it.

Most people who use a particular facility with any regularity can see the value in joining - purely from a monetary standpoint (i.e. members shoot cheaper than visitors). However, many clubs in our area require a work committment of members, and at some point a person can't work all those hours at a bunch of different clubs.

At our club in Naperville we modified our membership policy to try to ensure up front that a perspective member understands and is willing to do his part for the club in order to be a member. We count on our members doing their work, and if they don't it creates issues for the club. We have a "buyout" if you don't want to work, but honestly we don't want the money we want people to work. We've basically decided that if you aren't willing to contribute to the club then we'd prefer you just continue to shoot as a guest.

Our situation is slightly different in that the range we shoot at is owned by the city/run by the part district, so it doesn't have the not-for-profit issues of a private range.

I joined one area club after they ended non-member shooting privledges, but that particular club does not have a volunteer hours requirement. If they did I would not have joined as I don't have the time to commit to two clubs.

Scott

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Scott -

There is another way to look at it.

If your not willing to donate 8 hours of your time over the course of a year than you might not be worthy of being a member. Just exactly what is 8 hours of time over the course of 1 year to satisfy the obligations of becoming a member?

I aint asking to start an argument or anything but would you rather volunteer a little time to keep a club you wish to be a member of viable or would you rather pay a larger initiation fee and higher dues to join and let the club have a large paid staff on payroll to do everything that volunteer labor could do?

11. scott calhoun

Lump -

No argument. That's exactly why our club changed our approach to accepting members.

I wish I could volunteer a "little time". If everyone volunteered a "little time" there would be no issues, but the majority volunteer no time but still enjoy the benefits of membership.

If a private club allows non-member shooting, you can't expect that non-members won't take advantage of that. There are a couple of clubs in our area that are member-only (and have been long before the IRS trouble started) and that's fine too. I don't shoot at those clubs, and know that if I want to I have to meet their membership requirements.

It's also worth noting that one of the clubs in question that has a work requirement also has a fairly high initiation and annual membership fee. Your last statement implied that those two things would be mutually exclusive. I'm not saying that's a bad thing - I'm firmly on the side of a club setting whatever policy that it believes is necessary. Their club, their rules.

Scott

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Scott ... if St Charles goes to a "Member Only" club with no leeway in that at all would you join or not shoot there again except for registered tournaments?

13. scott calhoun

Not sure why it matters, but to answer your question . . . I probably wouldn't join because I shoot there very infrequently. Maybe five times a year?

One of the attractions of St. Charles is that they allow members to shoot during non-public hours - meaning you have a key to the place. A friend of mine is a doctor and this works well for him since he can come out during the daytime when they are not normally open. I've got a 9-5 job so that's not something that would be any benefit to me.

Scott

14. carver

carver TS Member

I bet that doctor would rather have a 9-5 deal, even if it did screw with his private time at the club.

15. airborne

airborne TS Member

There is a 2 day registered shoot at Exline Club east of Kankakee. Saturday is 100 pair of doubles, 200 singles and 100 handicap. Sunday is 50 pair doubles, 100 singles and 100 handicaps.Go out of town on Rt 17 east to Sproler Rd just out of town turn left north 1 mile turn right go about 21/2 miles club is on your right in the middle of a s turn. Go to the bottom of the hill. Jack A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.