1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot my new CG today.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Well, first let me say I have only been shooting trap for about 3 years and in those three years I have owned the following: Remington 870 CT, 2 -Remington 1100 CT, A Browning XT, A BT99+, A BT 99 Golden Clays, and two other BT-99s, A ljutic Mono Gun, a ljutic dynokic, a Gamba, A Browning Citori Combo, A browning Citori-grade 2, A K80 combo and now a CG Challenger Trap. Now some of these I bought because they were a good deal (The remingtons and a few BT99s) and others I bought because I fully intended to shoot them. In my experience the most pleasing gun I own that I have shot (a minumum of 1500 times) was my ljutic Dynokic which I still own and my browning Grade II which I still own. I really enjoyed my XT but I sold it to fund buying my K80. My K80 turned out to be quite a experience in frustration. I tried religously to make it work, new barrels, etc. However in the end I needed a better fitting stock and didn't want to drop another $1200 into a decent one. Myself and the K80 parted ways on good terms because I ended up selling it for about $1200 more than I paid for it.

I decided to take a hiatus from expensive trap guns and focused on shooting my two remaining favorites the ljutic dynokic and a browning Citori grade 2. My scores were pretty steady for me with not much up or down. In both my leagues I ended up with a fairly respectable average of around 46, seeing that when I started I was around a 38 my first year, then 43 my second and now 46. So I am seeing decent improvement.

Anyway I decided to take the plunge and buy a CG Challenger trap of a board member from MT. I always heard good things about them so I figured lets try it out. First dealing with GeorgeMT was great. He shipped the gun promptly and I had it in two days. The gun was in great condition as he described and it was hard to tell from new. Well today I took it out and all I can say it fit like a glove and shot like butter. I can say without a doubt it might be one of the softest shooting guns I have shot in a long time. The fit and finish is great and I am looking forward to spending some serious time getting to know my new stick. While I only put about 100 rounds down her pipes today (because I was too scared to shoot it in my first league) I can say my two other trap guns will most likely see little use!

George, Thanks agin for a great transaction, tell your dad the CG has a new best friend!

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

word of advice, if it don't hurt you and it shoots were you look, keep it and slow down on gun swapping. you won't develop the intimate gun relationship until you've shot the same gun for a year or two. you don't know a gun until you have shot it a few thousand rounds.

3. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

I could only wish to afford all those guns in three years. It took 6 months for me to learn to shoot my BT99 going from a field 11-87

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 3 CG gun and they are great shooter. I'm glade to see you are a pleased with your new gun.

5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I must say that all the guns I bought were great deals. At any given time I really had no more than 3 trap guns. And I really had one dedicated one. However it was hard to shoot doubles with the SBT. When ever I would sell one and make a couple bucks rather than giving it to my wife I would generally parlay it into another gun a little more expensive. Except for the K80 which I sold basically everything I had and then some. For the most part the dedicated ones I have shot atleast for 9 months to year and around 2000 rounds out of them. I do agree you have to really put your time in with them. However the K80 never quite fit right and it had a gracoil which I have learned to absolutely hate. I have had two guns with them and I shot them both equally bad. I have found there is not subsitute for a good fitting piece of wood!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.