1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot into the wind position holds, up-down?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by old pipe, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

I shot in the L.V. midwinter shoot and did not fare well in that windy condition
    I would like to hear from the T/S to have a better understanding of shooting with the wind in your face, cold, running nose,tears rollling down,and rubbish flying back to you. Aloha and Thank you. Howard

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Howard- Shooting in adverse conditions is a problem each of us has to solve individually. One thing that will work for everyone is an increased level of concentration on shooting the bird, but that can be hard to accomplish. One of the most difficult things for me to do under such conditions is to have fun and that is what the game is all about. Others have had success at becoming more aggressive toward the bird and this usually means shooting a bit faster. Some elect not to shoot but I am rarely that smart.

Pat Ireland

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I've always tried to make it a point to stand behind the field I'll be shooting on and see what the birds are doing. In the event of a headwind...birds are usually going up faster than normal. In that case...I'll definitely want to hold a bit higher off the house at each post. I try to keep the amount of vertical movement required consistent regardless of wind. Also, as Pat said...I'm one of those who believe in shooting a little quicker to keep the wind from messing up the birds trajectory as much as possible. A windy day is NO TIME to "ride" the target..!! As far as the other distractions....take your time, and keep your concentration focus. If you have to wait for junk/trash/etc. to blow by...so be it. Don't rush, it's YOUR shot to take when you're ready.
    Cheers,
    Don

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I experienced the antics birds play in a headwind at that club when I lived and worked in Las Vegas. Sometimes a bird would be missed going straight away and up, only to land on the 22 yard line unscathed till it hit the pad!!

Gives new meaning to raising the comb very high or making it shoot extremely high in such winds. Instead of 9 foot birds, think 20 and you'll get a tad closer to those elusive cloud climbers. Hap

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

Rising bird into a head wind. Come up on the bird, keep the barrel moving, and shoot when you blot it out with the barrel.

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Low hold and shoot fast. Bob

7. dkarre686

dkarre686 TS Member

i'm from nebraska and it always blows and is cold in the fall...my approach is just as any other shooting condition just concentrate more

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

My main problem in the wind is getting the gun blown around. A tighter hold on the gun typically results in a lower score for me.

Forrest

9. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

THANKS GUYS,
    Now I know what other shooters do in such conditions, everyone of you gave me
    something to look in to, I'll try anything to up my score.
    Again thankyou for the advice. Next stop Reno in May.
    Howard

10. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I usually hold a little higher over the traphouse in headwind situations--shooting a little faster often works well,however some people do better holding lower and letting the momentum of the upward swing work for them--each to his own but when they are going straight up watch out for the one that goes flat when the wind momentarily quits.

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

When the wind is in your face, Leave the gun in the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If I'm shooting into a headwind I will raise my hold a bit, but I shoot fairly quick so not too much. Ron McConnell, who lost the shootoff to Kay for the GAH in Sparta is the BEST wind shooter I have ever seen or shot with bar none! He doesn't let it fluster him..he just tracks the bird and smokes it. I watched in awe as he broke a 92 in doubles in a 50mph dust storm at the old Brooks, Alberta Gun Club.....I think I distinguised myself with a 68 or some such and I was carrying a 93% doubles average at the time....

Ron Burr

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Irfner, that's exactly what the older guys at my club tell me when I would do horrible in the wind. "Only way you're going to get good at shooting in the wind is by practicing in the wind". Well, I eventually got into the 23 24 range on windy days and seem to do about the same as I do in normal weather conditions.

-Jollytrapshooter

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I've shot in the wind, wind and rain, cold wind and rain, snow wind & rain, rain wind,cold and ice. you get my drift. As was said in preveous posts by ohers, I pull up a little higher on the house and go for the clay a little faster than normal. I was known as a snap shooter no matter what the weather was. My worst was cold,windy with snow or ice or even rain. Never got on the clays as easy. I guess thats one of the reasons I moved to Az. Got tired of the cold snowy windy rainy icy weather in Ill. From the looks of the laws trying to be passed there It's a good thing I did move. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting into the wind