1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot gun games in AZ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Woods, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Hi: What are " shoot gun trap games "

Is that like " TRAP " , " SKEET " , " SPORTING CLAY " .

To start Tucson Trap & Skeet in Tucson & Ben Avery Shooting Complex in Phoenix area. Both premium facilities, I think both have web sites.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

There is some murmurring that when the winter visitors start showing up,
    in Tucson, making use of the 200+ full hook ups, at Tucson Trap and Skeet, for the winter

The game shooting might by (looking for the Right words) at least not be discouraged,

Nothning firm on that, at least no name I can attach ay this point

Al

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Red Mountain used to shoot games but since they have closed I'm not sure any of the other clubs are still hosting them ... Ben Avery also hosted games one night a week but when McGaffee lost the leased rights to the club back to AZ Game and Fish they were never started up again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I have heard that the Red Mountain Games people are now shooting at Rio Salado. Rio has set up a 5 Stand/Trap field to go with their Sporting Clays layout. I do not know when they shoot for sure, but I think it is Wednesday night.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In the years I lived in Scottsdale 1998-2001 i never found an AZ club that shot games. I miss AZ weather but not the shooting, it sucked

6. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Please expain what type of games and how they are played. The club I go to is looking for a way to increase participation other than registered shoots. The owners are trap shooters and aren't familiar with the trap games. I have shot Annie's, procetction and Chineese trap(sorry for the spelling) any other ideas would be appreceiated. It's a great club and I just want to help make it more fun for everyone.
    Thanks in advance,
    Grif

7. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Grif: I am the secretary for a Rod and gun club in Ontario New York. The club used to have a large concentration of what we called "prize shoots". These prize shoots consisted of a number of games that were played on the trapfield. The most popular one was what we called "10 man prize." The way this game is played is that you place 10 shooters on the line (two shooters on each of the five stations). Each shooter will now shoot two shots from each of the five stations, in turn. When each shooter has shot his two shots from a position, the group then rotates just like you were shooting a regular trap event (station one moves to station two and so forth). When the entire squad has completed their moves through the entire five stations the game is over. The hits and misses are recorded and when the event is over the total number of hits are counted and the total is written at the bottom of the scoresheet. We then go into the clubhouse and reach into a box which contains a number of tiles that are numbered 1 through 100 and draw out a number that is less than or equal to the total number of hits recorded on the sheet. Let's say the number 20 is drawn; we then countdown only the hits until the until the number drawn is reached. The shooter who broke that target is the winner. Now our prizes ranged from turkeys, roast of beef, a package of or for 2 or 4 beef steaks.(All frozen of course) and chickens. The winner of the event would have his choice of whatever prize we had available for that event. Now to make it more interesting we would place an odd colored target in the mix. If a shooter calls for a target, is presented this odd colored target and breaks it, the shooter wins a chicken. Now, you do not want to miss this target, for if you miss the target your name goes up on our wall of shame (all done in light heartedness). At one time we used to have up to 27 squads of this type of event. However, in the past years our games have fallen off and we have been reluctant to schedule games this year.
    Another game we have played is called Quail Walk. For this game shooters will have five shots to take down five birds as they walked closer and closer to the trap house. The contestant starts at the 27 yard line and loads up his shotgun with as many shells as it may hold up to five (if the contestant has a single shot you will be given time to reload and begin again). The contestant starts his his walk from a 27 yard line with his gun at a position across his chest as if he were hunting. The contestant calls ready and begins to walk from station three at 27 yards toward the trap house. Sometime between the heat the time he calls ready and the time he reaches the trap house he will be given five birds one at a time to shoot at. Sometimes, the shooter may be required to stand on the top of the trap house. However, if you're trap house does not support a person that would be ill advised to have him climb on top of the trap house. The high gun contestant, the one who breaks the most targets is the winner.
    We have also played "protectors" which we called "wipe your eye." Again works very similar to other types of protection games so I don't believe there is a need for an explanation at this point. However, one little fly in the ointment so to speak, is that if the first shooter shoots and breaks the target and the second shooter also shoots it's a lost target for that team.
    Another game that we've played we call miss and out. The name is quite the exclamation of the purpose of the game. However, the game starts out with all contestant's in the event shooting from 16 yards it station one. Obviously anyone who misses the target is now out. All the survivors now go to station to 20 yards. From this point on all the survivors would go to station three at 22 yards; then to station four at 25 yards; then to station five at 27 yards. All the survivors then will play follow the leader and shoot from wherever the lead shooter shoots, keeping in mind that shooting must be contained within a nominal area of the trip field but can go further back as far as the shooter likes. Again, the last shooter in this event is the winner.
    At one point in time we had a number of members who were confined to wheelchairs, but enjoyed shooting our games. To place other shooters in the same constraints as our chair shooters we came up with a game we called "chair shoot" where all the contestants must shoot from a seated position. This particular game would follow the same rules and regulations as the 10 man prize event.
    I hope this helps. And have a lot of fun with these events.
    Bill Palermo
    Ontario Rod and Gun Club
    Ontario, New York

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Doubles quail walk, about the same as the one above, but the teams are posts 1-4, and 2-5, load 2 start walking, shoot 2 at your bird, or break yours and back up your partner. anytime a person is moving a bird may be thrown so reload quick. If a shooter gets more then 2 yards infront of the group that pair is out.

Pullers revenge, puller sets up machine and course, anytime your moving a bird can be thrown, stand still to long and a bird can be thrown. If you have any truly wicked pullers it can be a challange! but then it's the most fun also!

A truly wicked puller on a skeet or 5 stand field and the spectators should be charged admission!

5 stand flurry, a pair of shooters and 30 birds in 90 seconds, let the fun begin! Shooters stand behind a table, set up all the shells they think they might be able to shoot at 30 birds in 90 seconds, very spectator friendly, and what language, but the language is part of this show!

Al

9. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Gslam,
    Rio Salado is on the east side. They are on Ellsworth just north of McDowell. Do a google search for Rio Salado Gun Club. This is much more that a trap range. They shoot just everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.