1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot from wrong yardage--------penalty???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

While shooting handicap, and some shooters are moving the mike for others, a shooter makes an honest mistake and shoots one station from the wrong yardage. What is the penalty?

I see on page 22 that (A shooter may not stand on a higher yardage than he/she is punched, unless assigned penalty yardage by handicap personnel). Is the penalty the same for standing on a shorter yardage as a longer yardage? I see the violation listed, but do not see the penalty for violating the rule.

Whatchathink?

2. trapshootin hippie

Jimmy, thanks. I thought I saw it somewhere once upon a time, but couldn't find it again.

You and the lady do good at the Grand?

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

trapshootin hippie:

If the error is caught promptly, the shooter may reshoot from correct yardage without penalty. If the on-line ATA rule book were available (for some reason it isn't at the moment) I would cite the specific reference. However, if you have a hard copy of the rule book, or wait til the on-line version is working, you can look the rule up for yourself.

sissy

edited addition 9:07pm CT

If the error isn't caught and/or corrected promptly, the result is a DQ and score doesn't count.

4. trapshootin hippie

Sissy, I am holding the hard copy rule book, but can't find reference to doing it promptly. and------- what do ya think the definitoin of promptly would be?

5. Recoil Sissy

trapshootin hippie:

I'm reluctant to respond as I don't remember the exact language. However, if you recognize the error before moving to the next post. that would certainly qualify as prompt.

When I can access the on-line rules, I'll cite the reference. My hard copy is at the bowling alley with my bride.

6. trapshootin hippie

Ok, thanks.

Gne J.

7. trapshootin hippie

Jimmy, don't think I can make it to SA. Gonna be at Buffalo Creek in a couple of weeks or so, gonna make it?

8. Recoil Sissy

trapshootin hippie:

Section VII - Official Scoring, Subsection E. - No Target, Rule 10

More specifically, it is the very last sentence of rule 10

... targets shot at and broken from the wrong yardage marker must be shot over, targets shot at from the wrong yardage marker and missed will be scored lost.

So... if you shot all or part of one post from the wrong yardage, the targets you broke at the wrong yardage (either too short or too long) are "no targets" and must be shot over. Any target(s) you shot at and missed from the wrong yardage may not be shot over and are scored lost.

sissy

9. trapshootin hippie

Sissy, I understood thi to be pertaining to the chair shooters placement of the chair, as it is mentioned in the same paragraph. Post two above by Jimmy P states the act to be a disqualification, as stated on page 41 B 1d. Would be nice for a clarification from the wheels on this one. Thanks folks.

10. Recoil Sissy

trapshootin hippie:

edited version

Rule 10 is a long rambling catch-all which bounces from subject to subject touching on a multiplicity of issues. Those issues include but are not limited to how and where general contestants stand for 16 yard and handicap targets, as well as exceptions for "inequalities of shooting platform" and for chair shooters.

I don't believe the applicability of the last sentence is unique to chair shooters nor in my opinion is there any reason it should be. However, I agree the language is sufficiently sloppy to create potential confusion.

sissy

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A moot point if one pays attention.

Curt

12. trapshootin hippie

Curt, are you saying that one should never make a mistake?That wasn't the question. The question was, what is the penalty. It seems we have two choices.

13. trapshootin hippie

Where is Neil when I need him?

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

By the same token just to complicate matters a little more Section VII Official Scoring Paragraph A Sub Paragraph 5 states "5. Should more targets be fired in a sub-event than the event calls for,then the excess targets of the sub-event will not be scored." Now ain't that A fine kettle of fish? Go figure so what five targets don't count? Page 28 of the online rule book.

Bob Lawless

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I can speak to this. I shot one post, 5 shots from one yard further back than my correct yardage. When I discovered the error, I asked the scorer for a line supervisor, explained the situation and he radioed the office. Was taking a while so we agreed that the rest of the squad should continue. After about 15 minutes, he was told that I should report to the practice trap and reshoot the five targets and complete the event. When I got to the practice trap, they called the office and I was told to wait. After about 45 minutes, the tournament director came to the practice trap and told me he had no choice but to disqualify me. This was at the 2004 Grand. And that's the way it was.

Bob

16. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Gary

The number of sub events never came up in my discussions. As the rule you quoted above says "may be disqualified". I was. I am not complaining, it was my error. Just answering the question of what can happen.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.