1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot from the hip for no reduction ??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadspreader, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

ya it's called sandbagging!

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Most handicap shooters could stand to have a reduction but if it is ever made
    Mandatory alot of people will just stop shooting handicap . Bottom line is 98% of all registerd shoots are shooting for fun and not profit . There is no money to be made I know it and so do most people . So you shoot for fun or you don,t shoot ???

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

From my own personal experience with mailing delays and late shoot reports and the ATA office only running the Yardage Review Process at 'irregular' intervals I found it very difficult to pin down the exact range of 10 or more usually way more than 10 scores that are used for the Review.

4. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

"and the east 89%"

Have you ever shot here [New England/the Northeast]? Well, between the weather and other factors, it is for a fact just more difficult to shoot *consistently well* here and the ATA considered that in making the rule. One day the targets will be floating in the sunlight, the next day will have heavy dark clouds and wind that either drives targets into the ground halfway to the stake or lifts the targets over the tree-tops (or BOTH before you're done with your 100). Did I mention the precipitation and temperatures..lets not even get into air density..? This occurs year round...there really isn't a perfect month or months to shoot where there is a big good weather break...good days, good weekends, that’s about it. While I was cooking in Sparta in 07 picking off those targets like they were on a string and boosting my handicap average over 90%, CT had cold fronts moving through bringing rain, wind, and 60-degree highs.

Many top shooters (and those chasing high averages) take every chance to hit a big shoot to the west/south..and its not because they like $pending on travel expenses.

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

sorry for my harsh term and not being P.C. but I had just woke up this morn when I posted. did not mean to insult you atajohn or anybody else for that matter. dont think I fully understood what you were saying. avoiding yardage has not been in my vocabulary as i want my 27yd pin so bad i can smell it! matter of fact i wont even get a 100 target review this year as i am only shooting enough to avoid penaly class in singles.

6. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

I was just answering your question as best I could..if you have an issue, take it up with the ATA.

http://www.shootata.com/Content/Contact_Info/ATA_Contact_Info.aspx

If someone wants to play the sandbag game, good for them. I'll gladly shoot my best every time and beat them whether they shoot high or low.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- First, it can be difficult to pin down exactly when your 1000 bird review counter ends. At this time of year frequently the scores are entered into the ATA computer in a different sequence than you shot them. The computer will throw out abnormally low scores. I do not know what the term 10% below the average actually means. It could refer to several different things. Are the low scores used to calculate the average and then removed? Are unusually low scored added to the targets on the counter? I do not know.

The different reduction points for different Zones are based on average data from each zone. Background generally tends to be different in some Zones. Neil has some data that demonstrates the higher altitude frequently found in the West benefits patterns. Also, in general, wind seems to be more consistent in the West. It is literally not too uncommon for the wind to be blowing in two, sometimes three, different directions at the same time at my local club. Combine this with the eddy currents and some unusual target presentation can occur. When setting targets, if two targets hit the pole at 7 feet and three hit the pole at 11 feet, that is about as close to 9 feet as is possible.

Pat Ireland

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I shot from 27 for over 20 years. My average was in the mid 80's most of that time. I was able to break a good score +95 in almost every 12-15 hundred targets. I can only remember getting 2 reductions which I turned down. 3 years ago I shot well at The Grand and was again "coded" since that time my diabetes hit my eyes bad enough that my average was in the 70's and during the previous 2 years my best score was a 90. Still no reduction. I petitioned my delegate because I was breaking 50's in bad weather and low 80's on nice days. Of course, I went the new gun route first then my optimolygist found the problems and now I can see and break targets. I am now on the 24 and hope to be on the 27 again soon. My approach has been, I am a weekend shooter and do not have unlimited funds, I am proud to be on the 27 and I paid to get there as long as I can compete every now and them I wanted to stay there

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

zarathrusta- The "shot from the hip" incident happened several years ago. It was an attempt to not get a punch the week prior to the Grand. The trick did not work. That shooter has a punch waiting for him at the classification desk when he arrived at the Grand.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.