1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot for average or shoot to be best

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TRAPSHOOTING90T, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAPSHOOTING90T

TRAPSHOOTING90T TS Member

My question is a two part senerio.
    Would you rather break a 97 and lose or a 95 and win.
    The reason I ask is I run a club where due to wind currents and backgrounds we have a reputation for being a hard place to break a good score.
    We throw legal targets speed and distance.
    I for one don't want to throw targets that are soft to make scores go up.
    At our club slowing targets up only would make things worse.
    Thanks for your humble opinons.
    Roger Smith

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Roger.....I'm very experienced in these matters! ALWAYS shoot for the BEST.....you'll then be average!

3. TRAPSHOOTING90T

Jerry

I think we look at things from the same view.

Now I will put in the but I have more than one very good shooter who shoot at times who are shooting to make the state team.Is there a point where you can have these shooters break a score that won't lower their average and not have to throw an illegal target.

Roger Smith

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Roger, I'm of the opinion that you do what is right for everyone. If anyone is afraid to shoot because it might upset his average, let him stay on the porch. Shoot your best and forget anything else, When I have done that, I am satisfied with myself. J.W.

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

one bad shoot will not hurt my avarage enough to make me pass on shooting,,,,,,If we all shoot the same or near same targets,,,I am shooting to win,,,,,have shot a lot of 97's in the rain and 88's in the sunshine,,,,

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Dan Orlich said in a Shotgun Sports article that an average meant shooting at all clubs in whatever weather. That was how an average was formed not by leaving the gun in the trunk on the bad days. What the hell did he know? He only shot the first registered 400X400. It was a PITA shoot but a perfect 400X400 non-the less I believe it was 1968.. He also said that trapshooting was becoming a sport that catered to what the shooters want. He talked of how some pretty avrerage shooters were shooting some pretty respectable scores with the softer targets. It was plain to me by the tone of the article that Dan was not a fan of the the new softer targets. Jeff

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Roger Smith - First, and most important, all your club can do is throw the best legal targets possible under the conditions you have. Make sure all traps are set the same, the targets are not tipped to the right or left and the angles are set correctly.

682LINY- One or two very low scores can have a major impact on your average. Last Summer I got my singles average up to 97.1 and then went to a shoot that had some very difficult wind, rain and other target problems. In singles, I shot a 77 and 80 (86 won). Figure out how many 100 straights it takes to make up for these scores and get back to 97. I was not able to do it.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

But you shot them! That says a lot to me.

Don

If you shoot for average only then "you are a giant in your own small mind"

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jeff, Mr. Dan was one of the finest shooters in that long, gone era. He did have the advantage of knowing where the targets were going before the introduction of interrupters!!

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I just show up and shoot. I go to shoot one bird, time after time. I usually don't know what my score is at the end of the event because I honestly don't keep track of it. I usually don't check my score at the end of the event either. Someone always tells me what it is later.

Morgan

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

This concern about averages is the reason why Sporting Clays did away with classifying shooters by averages many years ago. Naturally, with sporting clays, target difficulty can vary greatly from course to course or even from day to day. If shooters were classified by averages, then many shooters would avoid shooting courses known to typically have difficult targets.

By going to the "punch" system, it now makes no difference whether the targets are easy or hard that day because everyone has to shoot the same targets. Your raw score means nothing. It's only how it compares to others in your class at that particular tournament that means anything.

So if it's raining, windy, or the targets are set particularly hard, that might actually be an advantage for the shooters who can handle difficult conditions without losing their composure. On the other hand, if you are a Prima Donna who gets upset if you miss a couple of targets, then sporting clays may not be the game for you.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

That is why averages should not be used to detemine State team standings. Wins, ties, and place should be used. A minimum on the number of birds shot, or events attended would then bring the best shooters to the top. Fair weather shooters would be forced to shoot targets we shoot due to time constrictions.

13. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

WINS, TIES and PLACE, Some thing like the All American points aystem ?? Only geared to the state levels? Sounds like it has some merrit. Kirk

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that in addition to WHERE you place in class (first, second, third, etc), the SIZE of the shoot should also be taken into consideration in figuring points for State or National teams.

If a shooter finishes in or near the top in a tournament that has 400 shooters, that should carry more weight (i.e. points) than finishing in a similar position in a tournament that has only 40 shooters.

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Pat,,,,my answer is the same to anyone,,,,the only way to move your avarage ,,(up or down) is to shoot registerd targets,,,the more I shoot the less impact any single shoot can have on my avarge,,,,this year 800 targets,,,94 avarage,,,,take out the one bad day 94.7 advarage,,,by the end of the year,,,,2500-3500 registered singles targets ,,,much smaller diferince,,,If I am at a shoot,,,they have targets ,,,I have shells,,,,I am shooting,,,,better a bad day shooting than no shooting at all,,,,allways pleanty of friends to tell me what i did wrong,,,or what they did wrong

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>",,,,my answer is the same to anyone,,,,the only way to move your avarage ,,(up or down) is to shoot registerd targets,,,"</i>

I REALLY need to see a rationalization for this statement!

Morgan

17. TRAPSHOOTING90T

Thanks Gentlemen This kind of discusion is what makes trapshooters.com a place I will spend some time.The new format gives a person alot more information before they open a thread I like it.

Roger

18. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I try to shoot my best every time I shoot. I have never in my lifetime dropped a target for a win, and I never will...............Roger

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Always shoot my best! Bill

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

682LINYi- I do wish I could shoot more registered targets but I do what I can. Last year I shot 5600 singles, 3500 handicap and 4500 doubles. My total lifetime targets are over 300,000.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.