1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot/event prep

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA
    When preparing, mentally and logistically, do you go through a checklist, or just walk up to the line and shoot (at) your targets? I was thinking about those "extra" shells in my vest or shell box(s). How often do you swap/change them? Do you even know what they are, or if they've gotten wet? I hardly ever use them, excepting doubles, where I have two for first shot & two for the second. If you use different loads for Caps & Singles do you change the extras for those events? I'm not suggesting we clutter our heads with useless junk; but is prep routine something successful competitors employ?

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello Mike,,

I certainly have a check - list before I pull out of the driveway,
    My Gun - gear - ammo list is usually ready the night before .
    After I sign up , I try to shoot the same station at the practice trap
    as I will when the registered targets starts.

My tote bag for the event, my extra shells, my lens color, etc. all
    will be ready ahead of the squad to the line, just makes the event go a lot smoother, nothing worse than 4 shooters standing at their stations wondering
    where I am ?

This is the nightmare I try to eliminate at registered events. Very good thread
    that you have started, kinda jog our memory, keep us alert.
  3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Apr 3, 2012
    I get all my equipment and ammunition set out the night before. Next day load everything into the truck then double check again. I always keep spare glasses and ear plugs in my truck just in case. I like to arrive at the event/club a least an hour early to look at the traps and watch them set them up and throw a few. Also can get signed up on the squad and position I want.
  4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Check equipment and organize gear the night before. Make sure I have back-up glasses and ear protection, more shells than I will need, sunscreen, lawn chair, rain gear and spare hat. Make sure I have water, snacks and sometimes a lunch ready to load.

Prior to shooting, check the gun a final time when I put it together. Figure out what lenses I want in the glasses and carry a back-up if it looks like the weather could change. Extra box of shells always. Final check is ears, eyes, shells and gun. At that point I'm ready and stop worrying about gear and start thinking about targets.

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Extra shells? Just carry your handicap load as spares all the time and you won't have to worry about it. They may be overkill for singles or doubles, but they will definitely get the job done up close, where your 3/4oz first shot of doubles load isn't the best choice for caps if you forget to switch.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Everything you could need should be in your shoot bag already. Beyond that keep it simple and relax. Eyes, ears, shells - ready set go.

You can do yourself a huge favor and shoot one shell for everything. Believe it or not 2 3/4 dram x 1 1/8 Oz 7 1/2 or #8 will cover it all the way back to the 27. Why worry about all this junk about this shell for this target that shell for that target. Focus your mental energies on about the target itself. (none of them can actually out run your shotgun)

It also helps to practice alot and have a belt and pouch set up ready to roll at all times. If it takes you more than a couple of minutes to gear up (including putting the gun together) then you are wasting a lot of mental energy on stuff that doesn't matter.
  7. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Bug/Insect Spray.

ja in PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.