1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shoot coolant

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

for those using sierra anti-freeze with liquid laundry soap for there shoot coolant. do you have a problum if it is cold like 50 de.? mine worked good when amb. temp was 90, and i run a pump to keep it at 120, but when the amb temp was 50 a few weeks ago the shot was poping and hat a porkey pine look. had any had this happen and what did you do. thanks charles

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

686 you have a couple things going on. Most shot makers don't do well in temps below 60. The drop distance from the lip to the coolant could be too large. Whats happening is the molten shot is developing a shell around the molten core before it enters the coolant. Be sure to let the shot maker get fully up to temp before you start running shot. If you have a 120 volt model with the smaller heating element it will be more susceptible to cold weather. Try heating your work area and the coolant before you start a run.

When I run shot in the winter I heat the garage up to about 75-80 degrees. I have had the same problem if ambient temps get into the 50s. I use prestone low-tox liquid soap coolant, But the same principles apply.

Jim

3. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

OK! I'm just getting things together here to make shot. I have some lead stored up and more on it's way. So, How much Anti Freeze is used? and how much soap is used in this mixture. Roughly, we don't have to be to the nitch on this I suspect. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.) P.S. E-Mail me this if you wish, to the above Add. but, I'll check back in a day or two on this. Thanks Greatly!!!

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Think search. There's tons of stuff on here.

Jim

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i live in no. indiana,last weekend my garage was 40 degrees, coolant was 38 degrees(i use dot 3 brake fluid)when i started. kept temp of coolant around 55-60 degrees for entire run,ran 250 lbs of some of the best looking homemade shot yet,useing a stewart better shot maker,my shot maker seems to run better in the cooler/damp weather.mark

6. scott k

scott k TS Member

i'm doing the same as plinker61. cooler the better.

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

scott,i am going to up grade to jims blackmax machine this spring,ueses double drippers with a hotter heating element,a single ladel is rated at 100 lbs per hr,double ladel is 200 lbs per hr,is your shotmaker a single or double dripper,or have you try'd double drippers?any one else using the stewart black max?i will be selling my stewart single ladel with 7.5 single drippers in order to get a black max,anyone interested, ive only run 6,000 lbs through it last year,so its just getting broke in,mark

8. bojav

bojav TS Member

change your coolent to dot3 brake fluid, no mixing use as bought, flushes off with water no carryover, cold temp has never bothered my shoot making. I like to keep it simple. BOB J

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

plinker61, I have the Black Max in 7.5 drippers. Make sure you have plenty of lead in the ladle when first starting up or you you will not be able to keep up, or the lead level will get below the drippers in the ladle. Yes, it doubled my production, a little trickery to keep running with all the lead running through with 1500wat element. Wished I had bought the MAX to start with, my other unit I am running 5 doubles in the middle and singles on the end with 8.5 drippers. I have about $1600.00 in home made shot at $50.00 a bag, if I would buy it at Sportsmanswarehouse. 10tenner

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

thank you 10tenner,i am looking foward to the challenge of keeping up.

ajax 10tenner answerd your question.
    i may have a buyer for my better shotmaker

mark

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Good information. Thanks for sharing guys.

12. scott k

scott k TS Member

plinker, i plan on doing the same as you. a complete new system, put the ingots in one end, and clean, washed, dried, sized, shot coms out the other.200lbs per hour sounds like fun.

my old system will be up for sale. every thig but the polisher. $1500 obo

later scott

13. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

scott,that is one heck of a deal for someone,you have a very nice set up,im going to keep the rest of my set up,and just sell the shotmaker,it will be hard to get rid of her though,we spent a lot of time togeather last year,and it made a bunch of free shooting for me& my son,hopefully my new setup will get'er done faster to give me moore time to shoot.mark

14. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

anybody who use's the dot 3. do you have to wash the shot in gas or will the brake fluid wash of with water?
    Thanks Bill

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have asked this question before but never got an answer. Is there any printed material available for any of these "name brand makers"? How about cooler makers. Is it worth making your own maker? Who EXACTLY do you get drippers from and how much can you expect to pay?

It seems like knew machines run around $350 area which makes me feel like somebody would publish a catalog or someting to read about and see if it's right for you or not or what do I have to do to get ready:gas, elec.?

How come we don't see these guys that make this stuff on this site offering the above?

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

yes brake fluid washes off with plain water,i get my brake fluid for free(my tank holds 14 gallons),i get it from dealerships/auto service centers,the larger ones have a mmachine that services your brake fluid system,and after every job the machine is primed with new fluid,then on start up of next job,new fluid ends up in scrap tank with old fluid.last feb-march i got 20 gallons have run 5-6000 lbs of shot with same 20 gallons,mark

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ajax: Thanks for trying to help. There is about 50 different possibilities using the I. Can you narrow it down for me please. Thanks, Dave P.

18. scott k

scott k TS Member

search for shotmaker pics vids and more

thats my setup thats forsale.

hope that helps

19. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You can also visit this site. There's a 28 page discussion on making shot. As usual you will have to sort out the good from the BS. Just mash on the link.

Jim

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

OK here's a quick look at my shotmaker. I've only made about 3 tons with it.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotvids1.flv"></embed>

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.