1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOT COOLANT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

THOSE that use anti-freeze with liquid laundry soap FOR YOUR COOLANT, IS THERE A PROBLUM WITH EVAPRATION? (I KNOW SPELLING) do you have to add ext ant-freeze a little alone?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Evaporation is not a problem. I do loose about a gallon per 1000 lbs of shot. This is what doesn't drain off before washing.

Jim

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The best shoot coolant I've found is Crown Royal over ice.....

4. 686

686 TS Member

I DO NOT REMEBER who said to use liquid laundry soap in the anti-freez. i first had dimples with stright anti-freez, adder the soap and dimples went away. made about 700 lbs over 4 sessions and every thing was grate. it has been 3 weeks since last pouring. made 150 lb sat. 150 lb sun# 7 1/2. all had dimples and looked like every thing but round. i changed over to # 8 bade 25 lbs. the same thing. cooland was 95 de. the other times the weather was hot and the coolant was 105. do i need to add more soap or add more anti-freez? i will keep this shot for me, do not want to let any ons see it. thanks charles

5. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

16 oz. of liquid laundry soap to 6 Gals. of Low Tox Anti-Freeze

6. 686

686 TS Member

I do have soap in now. the question is why i just stareed getting dimples. the coolent is not as hot as before. should i add more soap or more anti-freez?

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It sound like the lead may have been to hot. If the lead is to hot it does not cool fast enough when it hits the coolant and you can get dimples. Try turning down the heat if you have the ability or run the lead through faster. It may take cleaning the nozzles so they run wide open and not have any slag build up in them. That way the lead does not set in the ladle to long and gain more heat than you need. You want to try and balance the load. The same amount of lead going out as you have coming in and keep the level the same.
    This is one reason a lot of us put rheostats on the shotmakers.

Ajax

8. 686

686 TS Member

i had 7 1/2 in and ran 600-700 lbs over 3-4 sessions every thing fine. now 2 tines bad. changed to new #8 the same thing. dimples. they do not look as bad as the 7 1/2 but not like what i got 3 weeks ago. do you think my coolent is to soft or to hard? thanks charles

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Add a little more soap..

If your hesitant to experiment shot making is not for you.

Jim

10. 686

686 TS Member

i do not mine experimating i just like to ask others that know more than i do. from what i have listed do you think my coolent is to thick or to thin? i have not changed any thing from 4 weeks ago when every thing worked fine. thanks charles

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Well, things have changed over the period. If you tilted the ladle back and cleared them of lead, the nozzles have a tendency to rust. If you have left lead in them the lead tends to leave a slag build up in the holes. (Normally it makes smaller shot) If it is the coolant it would appear it would be to thin. As Jim says, add soap. Buy a small strainer from a Kitchen supply store and check the shot as it runs. That way you can change things as you go and don't have a full batch that's no good.

Ajax

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

John, different machines run more efficient at different temperatures but I try to run mine around 650. One machine runs better at over 700. The ladles on the Littleton are not all the same. Modification were made as they were in production, both in the ladles and the hole size for certain shot. I can't speak for the new Littleton's. All mine are older models.

The rheostats are out of electric stoves and have been wired into the side of the box that holds the ladle. I used a plastic junction box and they have worked well. I have them marked on the face plates as to what the temperatures should be. Yes, there is a drop in temperature when an ingot goes in. I use small ingots, one pound or less and have found the drop is not as much and the level is easier to control.

Ajax

13. 686

686 TS Member

up date. i added more and more soap but still have dimples. when i first started with stright anti-freez i got little looking pin hole. after addeding soap they went away and every thing was good over 4 sessions and 700 lbs. 3 weeks later i started getting dimples. what do you think? thanks charles

14. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

How can you tell if you have the right temperature? 650 degrees.

15. 686

686 TS Member

checked it right after getting my jimmy stewert shotmaker. it was around 725. have not checked it since. by that question do you think it might be to hot or to cool? i do not think it is the drippers because as i stated i changed from 7 1/2 to 8s and it still had dimples.

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

17. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Has anyone noticed a difference in Sierra brand and Prestone non-tox antifreeze? I was getting good results from Sierra antifreeze and as I added more Prestone to my coolant solution and my shot was not round anymore. I read on Shotgunworld.com were Bergus Bullets now recommends Sierra Brand antifreeze. 10tenner

18. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

i use water sol. oil,has any one added soap?,if so what kind,and how much
    my mix mix is 50/50

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Since when do guns have radiators?

20. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

im shure glad i use brake fluid,rinses with water,no mixing,no guessing,just good shot,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.