1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot big shot

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by brdslayr, Dec 18, 2016.

1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Had a fantastic day hunting today. Jump shot ducks. Once again I proved to no one other than myself that big shot(size 2 or larger),works best on waterfowl. Shot my RBL sxs a total of 9 shots. Never had to follow up a shot to finish one off. I did clean miss 3 times but followed that with killing 2 with one shot. Shot distance was from 20 to 50 yards. For me BB's either kill em dead or miss.

Attached Files:

2. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

That is the way I grew up hunting ducks.
    Either by going to ponds before they iced over or by walking the river banks making loops every 100 yards to jump shoot the ducks.
    Too old to do that anymore but was lots of fun in those days.
    Lead shot was all we had back then, #4's did the job.

DandyRandy thanked this.
  3. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

O-Hale that is exactly how I grew up duck hunting. Sneak up on ponds or walking along small river banks and jump shooting ducks.

4. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

FullSizeRender.jpg

Fiocchi 1 1/5 of #2 patternmaster code black goose 20- 50 yards all day!!!!

5. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I thought I was supposed to get invited up when it got good? Its been 2 years. Cmon man.

6. Big Iron

Big Iron Member

Back in the day of lead #4 was the ticket for both ducks and geese. Now with steel I have had the best results with 3 inch BB's the faster the better 1700 FPS

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What's the constriction on that Patternmaster? Just curious.

8. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I have the KPY Shotshell Ballistic program and it shows that steel BB shot at 1500 fps gets the 1.5" of gel penetration that is recommended to reliably kill ducks at 70.5 yards, with 89 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

Steel #2 shot at 1500 fps gets the 1.5" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards, with 154 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

If any of you guys want me to run some shot sizes and speeds into this KPY Ballistics program let me know. I can enter any type and size of shot and weight of shot at the speeds you want entered. For reliably killing geese they recommend 2.5" of gel penetration so let me know if it is for ducks or geese.

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  9. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

And get SSSTTOOMMMPPPEEDD at 1700fps!!!!!! They throw only an 1-1/8th and no pattern consistency. I shoot 3" Hevi-Metal 3's for ducks early, then go to 2's later and back it up with BB's. Geese are solely BB's orBBB's all at 1500fps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  10. cdan6557

cdan6557 Member

I really like the hevi metal # 3's. Natchez shooting supply has 10#'s of hevi shot for $100. I ordered some number 2's. Going to load up a few to see how they do on some ducks and geese.

11. SecondChance

2's will be a tad big for ducks with HS. I shoot 4's or 6's and fold just great!!!!! I shoot ITX 4's in my 20ga for ducks and geese in Canada and they fold up just nicely when I do my part. And that's with a 1oz in a 20ga 3" hull.

12. cdan6557

cdan6557 Member

It was the smallest they had so I will try it. Going to make them an ounce and a quarter load though.

13. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I bought three bags of the old Remington Hevi-Shot #2 shot from Natchez and it was quite a bit bigger than size #2 on average. Two of the bags were closer to size B shot and one bag was averaged out to be size #1.

The BB size was also on the big side. Some of the BB shot was a little bigger than BBB shot.
    [​IMG]
    This is what the old Remington Hevi-Shot looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made up some sifters and ran all of the Remington Hevi-Shot #2 and BB shot I bought through the sifters. I ended up with four different sizes, #1, B, BB and BBB.

14. SecondChance

Good lookn sifters there derby!!!!!! Those BB's will be pretty nasty on the long honkers!!!!! They REALLY don't like em!!!!! 'Yotes also!!!! What are you going to be loading them with? BP wads and Steel powder? Look at BP's loading books and they will have some buffered loads to try. That or call them. That REALLY makes 'em shine!!!!! DO NOT BUFFER IF IT DOES NOT CALL FOR IT!!!!! Dangerous pressure levels can develop!!!

15. Sea Duck

Sea Duck Member

I'm on board with #BB for geese and yes #2s -4s on ducks,I like the first shot over dekes to be a 3-4 after that its all 2s!!