1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot after surgery?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrbuete, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrbuete

jrbuete TS Member

Just had ventral hernia surgery(between navel and sternum), any thoughts on how long I should wait before shooting trap???

Thanks!

2. MilfordMike

MilfordMike TS Member

That is a question for your doctor - And when he tells you wait XX weeks, make sure you do exactly what he says.
    Mike

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I had recurrant hernis between sturnum and belly button fixed this summer and had 73 staples. I didnt care to move for 2 weeks let lone shoot but after 3 weeks the doctor told me as long as it didnt hurt go for it,

BUT CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR !!

Jerry Lewis

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I had the same surgery in 2009. My surgeon told me,

"I don't want you to lift more than a one gallon jug of water for 6 weeks. If you don't heed my advise then we may be doing this all over again."

Needless to say I waited.

Michael Stephenson

5. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I have always wondered about these shooting after surgery posts, seems like your physician and how you feel would be the best guide. Now if you want to know if you should shoot 8s, would raise your score shooting 1 oz loads, or decline a yardage reduction during recovery then this is the right place!

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had Hernia surgery early in July. Thought I could make it to the Grand to at least walk around.

NOT....Took until Sept. before I started to feel decent.

Good advise on the above threads. Don't rush it.

Regards....Gerald

7. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

2 years ago I had hernia surgery on monday before thanksgiving, atcheckup appointment that friday asked dr if I could deer hunt on the following Monday, he told me to shoot my slug gun and se if I could take the pain, I didnt shoot ahead of time (no need to add flinch) waited to hunt killed a 8 point second day, had to have help getting it out, but survived
    Dave B

8. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

follow Drs. orders then take it easy..mx8Dave

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Talk with your surgeon and let him tell you when. Then you add a little time just to be sure. I wished I had done that on a few occasions, but I'm back on the no shooting list again after another serious surgery. It will take some time and a few CT Scans before I might be allowed to shoot again. I have a Ventral Hernia and was told not to bother with it until it gets a lot worse. The doctor said it would take three months to heal if we did it, and that does not mean it's ok to go out an start lifting Pianos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.