1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot a Ljutic Space gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Does anyone shoot a space gun on a regular basis? If so I would like to hear from you by PM. Thanks, Rich

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Yakima, Al brought one to the club and I shot two rounds of 25. Very hard to get use to the lack of recoil ( for me anyway) I did shoot it well as I dropped the first & last bird of the 50. He sold it to a friend of mine and he shot it for a few years but has since passed away. Not much help to ya Rich

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot one for a couple of years when they first were sold. Frankly, I got so tired of the remarks about how ugly it was I sold it and bought a Mono. I still shoot the Mono.

4. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I shot a Spacegun for almost 25 years. Went to Yakima and had Al fit it for me and, show me how to work the loading/unloading. I really enjoyed the gun and could keep up with anyone as far as loading/unloading goes. I shot it well, but after so many years, I thought I needed to try somethng different, so the Spacegun just sat in the gun safe. Someone offered me more than I thought the gun was worth, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't! It was truly recoil less. Since I stopped shooting the Spacegun I've had to go to a release trigger. Wish I had it back and if I could buy the same gun again, I would in a minute. If you get a chance to shoot one, by all means, give it a try. Al was truly way, way ahead of the times.

Tomas

5. elinvar

elinvar Member

I shoot mine from time to time- Shot 22/25 last week with it after not shooting it for about a year- I think if I shot it on a regular basis I could do well-

There is a process to loading and unloading quickly. After 100 you are worn out.

Terry Jones

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot a couple rounds with one when they first came out. And yes they are soft shooters for sure. The load/unload procedure is a bit of a learning curve but not insurmountable. The gun I shot didn't fit me very well but I saw how it could be a good one.

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

They were nothing more than a slam fire, correct?

Supposed to be the gun that gets more questions about it put to the Ljutic people than any other.

Yet they have been quoted as saying they will never make it again.

Are the patents expired?

If not could they be built under license?

Whole lot simpler than the Recoil-Less.

If I had the skills, I would try to make and sell them.

8. Rick Barker

I would like to see how the action works, or have someone explain it, from loading to firing to reloading it again, in detail.

Put it in a "Word" document, copy to this message box.

9. Rick Barker

Perhaps, the biggest factor overlooked about the Space Gun, is it's simplicity, except perhaps for the action and trigger, since I have never seen one, but the stock and forend can bee made without a lot of expense.

The barrel and rib look like the average smith could make it in a day.

Again, not having the knowledge about the internals, I am speculating, but a trapgun does not need to be an ornate work of art, it needs to be a work friendly tool that helps you get the job done.

Some of the "ugliest" most accurate rifles are benchrest, but you don't take a Wheatherby with AAA grade wood to compete in a benchrest match.

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The Spacegun is really just an upside down bolt action shotgun. Really easy to use. Al showed me how to hook the pistol grip on my hip to take all the work out of it.

Tomas

11. Rick Barker

But the bolt is not locked is it?

What is acting as the recoil mechanism?

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Yes, the bolt is locked. When you close the bolt, you also turn it to lock it in.

The recoil reduction is from a heavy spring and a heavy firing pin, (real heavy). If you dry fire a Spacegun, it will actually move forward, quite a bit. Great gun!!

Tomas

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When Al was developing the gun he had two of them in his golf cart at the Grand. Somebody came over to him and asked "Al, are you on crutches?".

14. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I wish there was a video somewhere that I could see how it works.

15. Rick Barker

Thank you Gary.

16. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

The Space gun is a very fun gun to shoot. You might also want to look at the Ljutic Selka. It's a similar gun but breaks open to load. It's also a thrill to shoot.

John

17. doc boc

doc boc Member

I shot mine for about a year, shot my regular trap average 94-95. It is great fun to shoot. the one i have was set up for release. it has a left handed bolt, so that you can hold the trigger back and uncock the action without reaching over the reciever.

The space gun fires from an open bolt. the bolt weighs about 2 lbs. when you fire the gun the bolt produces about 12 lbs of foward momentum, this cancels out the 12 lbs of recoil.

oddly space guns seem to fit almost everyone.. They're sort of AR 15 like in the way they feel. The manual of arms take some getting use to but once you know how to load and unload the opperation of the gun is as fast as an o/u. doc

18. Rick Barker

Doc boc

Is the bolt handle fixed to the bolt, so the handle is moving forward with bolt when the gun is fried?

Does the shell eject after firing?

19. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

I own and shoot both space guns <> Ljutic bolt gun and
    Ljutic Selka ... both are Space guns and operate
    the same way..no reoil ,.. Selka is a break open gun
    like a Mono -gun.. the bolt gun loads from the bottom,
    and the bolt gun 'Does Not eject 'after firing .
    If you want to save your shells just put your
    belt bag under the loading gate when the bolt is
    pulled back the drops in the bag..

The bolt guns were built with 3 rib impact points ..
    ribs are numbered ..( 1 2 or 3 )3 being highest.
    Selka's were all fixed impact ribs ..
    (Trap Man John ) is a good friend of mine and
    shot both of my Space guns ..
    Hope this answers some of your questions ..
    win12man

20. Rick Barker

Thank you.

I was a little confused because I read one post that said the gun fired with an open bolt, yet another that said the bolt was closed.

If open, then it is a "slam fire" and makes easier to understand the anti recoil action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ljutic shotgun manual

ljutic space gun

ljutic space gun for sale
ljutic space gun for sale canada
ljutic space gun shotgun
ljutic space rifle
selka trap shotgun
space gun shotgun sale