1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoot 20ga shells from 12ga 870 Express

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Sep 16, 2013.

1. tcouch

tcouch Member

This past Friday a group of us shot sporting clays. As usual there was a mix of different guns and age groups. Towards the end of the shoot one person was having issues with his gun. It would fire but not extract, so he messed with it and got another shell loaded and shot but it wouldn’t extract again. He shot 4 single shot like this before someone came over to help him. He was having similar issues throughout the day, so the first couple times were usual, stiff new pump 20ga with an 87 year old man.

The person that came over to help noticed that the shooter was using his gun, a 12ga 870 Express. That got all of us over there; the shooter was able to shoot 4 rounds of 20ga in the 12ga gun. All the shells sounded a little light, but nothing horrible. The bases were split but no damage to the gun or shooter, he was a lucky man. We inspected the gun and made sure all the shells were out before shooting it again.

I'm sure others on the forum know this can happen, I surely didn’t, but I wanted to post so more people know. One person shooting in another group is a Hunting Safety Instructor so he took the hulls to show the classes.

Thank you,
    Tim

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Everyone in the shooting group should be watching the other shooters, as to what gun they are shooting, what shells are used, and how they load and unload their firearm. As you mentioned the firearm owner is 87 years old. Very lucky someone didn't get hurt, or killed.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

They do color code the shells already. I think its time for the elderly gent to think about giving up,or someone should at least watch him on the next outings.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Seems the extractor on the 870 is working like a Mauser "Control Feed" claw extractor to hold the 20 gauge rim in a 12 gauge chamber to fire.

Amazing.

Now the question is, did he broke those 4 targets? It's seriously over bored. LOL

5. tcouch

tcouch Member

Yes we watched him very close after that. Both guns did look very similar, but he should have noticed something was wrong.

I just couldnt believe that it fired 4 times.

Tim

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Some years ago, a young lady enjoyed shooting a nice Damascus Parker for quite a while. It turned out that the gun was a ten gauge and she had been shooting 12 gauge shells.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have seen 12ga shells shot in an SP-10 10ga Remington autoloader. They did not eject and the cases were messed up but they fired and killed ducks. Yes... the guy did it over and over as he was out of 10ga ammo.Jeff