1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shoes or boots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

In the winter, do you shoot in shoes or boots? I am afraid that boots will hinder or change my movement.

Dave

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

NOT If You Have Your "Movement" Before Going To The Club!!!!!!!

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

depending on the beverage I drink in the morning, sometimes I have a movement at both places!!! Stop thinking and just shoot. LOL. break em all Jeff

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Dave,

I shoot in shoes and boots. If I am looking at the target, I never think about my footwear. I do, however, worry about my buddies footwear when he is kicking my rump on the range. I would prefer house shoes.

Charlie

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We have one highly accomplished shooter at our club that shoots in cowboy boots with a significant heel. His style is to lean into the shot as he calls for the target, and claims that the heels on the boots help facilitate that movement. He showed up one time and forgot his boots, and decided not to shoot. Mark

6. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

A few years back there was a product sold for shooters.. SHOOT BOOTS. Anyone remember them or try a pair ???

7. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

If, like me, you do not have the greatest balance in the world, then I recommend 'Doc Martins'. They offer a very w-i-d-e sole and make for a very stable platform from which to shoot. They come as shoes or boots. They may look a little funky (and some of them are downright deranged), but they've been helpful to me.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like hiking boots with a gel arch support insert.

Year-round.

9. Shawn

Shawn Member

I like shoes in summer and boots in winter.

flip flops if it is really hot and rubber boots in the rain.

What kind of move do you make to the target that boots would hinder?

Shawn

10. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Trap shooters traditionally wear boots (engineer boots), bib overalls, long, unkempt beards, with red man tobacco stains down the front, and a scowl if you dare to speak while they are shooting.

Skeet shooters traditionally wear sneakers, flip/flops, or high heel shoes, shorts, and stylish golfing attire that is very colorful. Pink is often observed at a color of choice.

That is, if you listen to Trap shooters talk about Skeet shooters, and Skeet Shooters talk about trap shooter.

In truth, it does not matter what foot wear you wear, because most trap shooters never move their feet when shooting: They "set up" for the target, and don't step at all while taking the shot.
    Wear something comfortable. If it's cold, and you want boots; wear 'em.
    If it's hot, and you like flip/flops and shorts, wear 'em.
    30 years ago, a pair of shorts at a trap shoot would have been laughed at.
    Today, they are common.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Are you going to wear wool socks or cotton socks? HMB

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Birkenstock's without socks....make sure to hug a tree before shooting!!

Curt

13. mooney

mooney Member

Flalagarto, ShootBoots haven't been around for quite a while. I still have two pair and they are the most comfortable shoes I own, bar none. They were invented by a gentleman named Hal (can't remember his last name) with whom I used to shoot at Northbrook Sports Club. Too bad they are not made anymore, they were a great product and they were well made; mine are almost thirty years old.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Eddie--You need to quit resting your barrel on your feet. It's start'n to take chucnks out. Classic...........LOL

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

I like high topped flip flops myself

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd be lost without my old, silcon glued, patched Rockports. My wife keeps trying to sh*t-can them but I keep rescuing them. Check out the width of the soles on these size 10s. 'bout the only place you can find them is on Ebay.
    [​IMG]

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Fred from West Virgina shoots with no shoes year around.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mark,

I'd like to see those high top flip flops. :)

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Once you have hit a decent level of proficiency, it's the small (yet very important) things that take you to an even higher level of success. And one of those small things is to purchase a dedicated pair of shoes just for shooting trap. There is one class of shoes that fit the bill quite well. They are flat, wide, and have a good pattern for gripping different surfaces one might encounter on the t rap field.

And those shoes are: SKATEBOARD SHOES....

They are to be worn ONLY when shooting trap, taken off immediately after you are finished racking up your normal 25, or when your training session is completed. Skateboard shoes, the better quality shoes, will run you around $40-$60 dollars. Mine are going onto their third year next spring and they look new. They are comfortable and allow me to forget another factor in this grueling sport. Go out and buy yourself a pair and never look back. To most, they appear to be low-rider tennis shoes. I think you're going to like them...

Trigger71 thanked this.
  20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

What type of movement.........you mean like the occupy Wallstreet movement.....Oh,never mind they are one in the same. YUK YUK YUK

D.P.Reynolds