1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shocked

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I just receieved a updated military DD214 form records . It was dated June 1975 I am shocked that i was awarded a Silver Star and a Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Metal with ribbon.. What does these metals mean? Can't find anything on subject. Apparently, it was mailed to my mothers house in 1975 and i just received it.

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I found this on the Web

The Silver Star is awarded for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States not justifying a higher award. It may be awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S Armed Forces, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism involving one of the following actions:

In action against an enemy of the United States
    While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force
    While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party
    The Silver Star differs from the Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross or Air Force Cross, in that it requires a lesser degree of gallantry and need not be earned while in a position of great responsibility. Soldiers who received a citation for gallantry in action during World War I were eligible to apply to have the citation converted to the Silver Star Medal.

The Bronze Star is another United States decoration which may be awarded for heroism, but unlike the Silver Star may also be awarded for meritorious service while engaged in combat operations. When awarded for valor, the Bronze Star Medal comes with the Valor device. The Bronze Star Medal is often issued to individuals who performed notable accomplishments, but not to the level required of the Silver Star Medal.

The Valorous Unit Award is considered the unit level equivalent of a Silver Star Medal.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

It means that you did something heroic. A silver star is, i believe, the third highest commendation that you can be awarded. Were you ever awarded a purple heart?

4. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I also found this.
    The United States military began authorizing the Vietnam Gallantry Cross in March 1968 with retroactive presentation of the decoration to 1961. In 1974, Army General Order Number 8 authorized the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation to every military unit of the United States Army which had served under the Military Assistance Command from 1961 to 1974. This effectively granted the unit version of the award to any member of the U.S. Army who had served for any period of time in the Republic of Vietnam. Members of other services were not affected by the Army General Order and still required individual or unit orders for the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation to be awarded.

The National Personnel Records Center is the agency which responds to retroactive award requests, from U.S. Army veterans, updating military records to show the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation per Army General Order 8. The decoration itself, both full medal and unit citation, are considered foreign military decorations and are not provided to Vietnam veterans by any of the United States military services. The decoration is only available for purchase through private military insignia dealers. The decoration may also be found for sale on the Internet, through such sites as Ebay.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i can't remember that far back. i just found this DD214 paper at my mothers.

6. DJM

DJM Member

Here is an example. My father was a squad leader in the 90th Inf. Div. during WWII. He landed on D-day and served until the war ended. He was awarded a silver star for advancing alone in front of his company and convincing the German defenders of a fortified pill-box to surrender. He spoke fluent German. Although he seldom spoke of his actions he did once comment that for all the heavy action he was involved with he got his silver star with out even taking the safety off of his rifle. Unlike your experience his was presented by the general commanding the division with other soldiers standing at attention behind him and a photographer taking pictures. Don Miller

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Thank you Earl. You seem very humble about your service actions, but I am proud of you and the other thousands who served with you. You gave part of your life so I could stay home and shoot trap.

Pat Ireland

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for your service to our country.

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Don Miller :

Do you have a photo to share with us if so and if you don't know how to post it here then just send it to me and I will at the email address above.

I appreciate every thing that every one has done to protect our country but it looks like now days we are letting a bunch of people in and when there is enogh of them then they may just take over.\

Foggy

10. old tex

old tex TS Member

Nice to have a hero among us - thanks Earl!

unc

11. Bob in Georgia

Bob in Georgia TS Member

Thank you Sir, and to All for your service!

Bob

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You didn't know you had been awarded a Silver Star? Yea Right!!!!!!!!!!!!

1100tt thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.