1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Shivaree" Do these still go on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cueguy2, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Thought I would never hear that work again. Used to have them in WI about 20 years + ago. I think they still go on in certain parts of WI yet, maybe MN too. Maybe a German thing??? Nubs Wagner

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Originally a French folk custom. See link above.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

About 35 years ago we "did" a friend on his wedding night. We waited until they turned off their bedroom light(upstairs wouldn't you know), then put a ladder up to the bedroom window. Two girl friends of the bride went inside and kept her busy as we made him dress and climb down the ladder.

We drove him around until about 6:00 am, then took him for breakfast, then back home.

All in fun, but was the talk of that little community!

Probably get our story in the "Armed Citizen" column of the American Hunter if we did this today!!!

4. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

2 years ago we had a couple get married out on a beautiful ranch...everybody stayed the night. The honeymooners went into their cabin and the rest of us wooted, hollered, and banged on pans all night long. The brown whiskey ran out just about sunrise...about the same time we ran outta steam. After our "naps" the bride and groom were no where to be found....they took off for parts unknown!

You know how it is...it's all just fun until someone gets hurt....man, we hurt the next day.

Some how in all the merry making everyone of us lost our car keys....we never did figure out how they got hung on the front gate.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I can remember being drug to a couple of these by my parents back in the 40's.

About all I can remember is that it was a great time for all........

Lots of pans banging, whistles and bells.

Hauxfan!

6. porky

porky TS Member

Shivaree's was a fun way the the locals would " Welcome " the new bride and groom to the community. It was a fun way to harrass the new couple and for the community to get to know them a bit better.

7. FIB

FIB Member

I'm originally from Mtn. View, ARK. and I remember my parents talking about Shivaree's.

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

My mom and Dad would laugh about being "shivareed" Dad said this buddys held his head under the pump and when he couldn't take it anymore he gave a big lunge and it took six stitches to close the hole in his head. :) They still had fun and talked about it for years and those they shivareed along the way. I haven't heard of the modern day kids doing it to each other. Dan

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The traditional southern way is to have the groom push the bride around the town square in a wheelbarrow several times. And we usually drove them around in the back of a pick up all over town, preferably in her wedding gown, then a toss in the creek and more riding. While we were doing that others were preparing the honeymoon bedroom, whipped cream on the sheets peanut butter whatever cruel stuff we could think of. And we would always pile as many people in their house or motel room and stay with them all night drinking their booze and keeping them from consummating the marriage. The price you pay when you cast your buddies aside for some split tail. LOL

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Remember them well in my younger days in Wisconsin many years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.