1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHIPPING USPS ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunner, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

I need to ship a Perazzi for stock fitting. Registered Mail is the cheapest method I have found because of the insurance. Has anyone had experience shipping a gun registered USPS ? Is FED EX reasonable on insurance ?

Thanks

2. emm2

emm2 Member

I send all my guns and related parts USPS. They are cheaper than UPS and I have never had a problem. Shane

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have used USPS for some time. I will say they do a good job. I have not had a problem as of yet.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have done USPS Priority several times and have never had a problem. I have also used the shiny tape as well and no one has ever said anything.

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Registered mail is the safest way to ship anything. It won't get there overnight, but it will get there. Overall it is a fine way to ship. It's not like UPS where you have to worry about some rent-a-clerk making off with your package, and you gettting UPS's "who gives a ****' attitude.

USPS doesn't like for you to use the shiny tape over the label because it makes it difficult for their machines to scan and track. It's fine for packaging, and I use a ton of it.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

When shipping REGISTER mail you need to use paper tape as the final tape because the PO will postmark the tape in various places to be able to confirm that the package has not been tampered with. This makes sense to me because usually any thing sent registered mail is something of great value and the employees know it. The employees also know that they cannot open and repackage.

Jason

7. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

You guys don't know a lot about the shipping industry! Cheap!
    UPS provides the best quality and your gun is buy far safer because of their tracking system.They are able to handle that size package better because of their system.
    Important to know that UPS stores are not UPS, they are just a company owned by UPS, all the stores are independently owned and can't accept guns.
    The post office has a much higher loss and damage rate than UPS. So just remember you get what you pay for.I shipped my gun by UPS and I was very easy.

8. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Well, I don't know much about the shipping industry, but I do know that UPS has beat the living snot of every package I've received from them in the last couple of years.

I use Fedex whenever I can.

Jim

9. rickm181

rickm181 TS Member

Shooting Glasses two of your comments have me puzzled, are they fact or just opinion?
    1 That UPS has better machines to handle the size of the gun packages? Fact or opinion. Where do I find this fact?
    2 The Post Office has a much higher loss rate and damage rate than UPS. Fact or opinion, again where do I find this fact?
    Personaly I think they both do a good job.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I am going to AZ. I will be visiting my uncle. Is it possible to ship my trap gun to myself at his address?

ATF...

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

* The package should be addressed to the owner (You are the owner). In care of another person ( C/O your friend, motel, hunting lodge, etc.)

11. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm not cheap on the tape. I use the clear packing tape which is shiny. I use the hell out of it per box and they have never said a thing about it.

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't ship a pair of shoes through UPS. I recently had an individual send me a check through UPS. It was supposed to be delivered overnight and if I remember correctly it cost $13 to deliver. It took 2 days! I have shipped many guns through the USPS without one single problem. I ship Priority Mail, Delivery confirmation and insured. I have never had a gun take more than 3 days to arrive at it's destination. (Most times it's 2 days). Ed

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

After many unsatisfactory experiences with UPS, I opened a FedX account online. Easiest thing I've done. Insurance is cheaper than either UPS or USPS when I bothered to compare it. I print the labels on my printer and drop the package off at Kinkos/FedX. No questions re contents, no hassle, just hand me a receipt....Standing in line at the Post Office is not something I willingly do.

Sometime after the packages are delivered, FedX debits my checking account for the fee via my debit card on file with them. I will get an email if there has been an exception (never so far) and when the package is delivered.

14. oz

oz Active Member

I will NEVER use USPS again. I bought a shotgun barrel from someone. they shipped it to me. On the due date I waited at home all day. I went out to my mailbox and found a (sorry we missed you go to the post office tommorow to get your stuff.) the lazy son of a bitch wouldn't do his job. UPS ALWAYS delivers my packages right to my door. oz

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

DB wrote:
    "Here in Caifornia UPS won't accept a firearm of any kind from a private individual even for shipment to an FFL. They insist that all firearms shipped by UPS must go from FFL-holder to FFL-holder. I no longer ship ANYTHING by UPS because of many problems in the past with late delivery with expedited service and their unwillingness to stand behind their delivery time guarantees + several shipments have been banged up and they were never willing to pay damages even though the packages were well insured --- never again with UPS. "

THIS IS NOT CORRECT! YOU MUST SEND FIREARMS FROM A UPS SERVICE CENTER, NOT JUST A CONTRACTED UPS "DEALER". I have sent and received many firearms using UPS and never had an issue other than on-time delivery.
    And yes, I believe FedEx is the best way to go, as USPS balks at shipping whole firearms.
    AndyH

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Andy: Where do get the facts that substantiates your statement that, " USPS balks at shipping whole firearms"? I do not want to get into a long drawn out discussion on this because you can look into the search site on this forum and see that this has been discussed numerous times. The USPS will ship a long gun, (no handguns), as long as the address or anything on the outside of the package does not address anything pertaining to a firearm. i.e.; if you were shipping a firearm to ACME Gun Shop you would address the package as just ACME and their address. I have been through this with uneducated USPS clerks who "thought" as you do and I would not tolerate their ignorance. All you need to do is talk to the postmaster in charge. All the information is in the USPS postal regulations. I have shipped guns with the USPS, (probably 50 or more) in the states of Wisconsin, Florida and Arkansas with no problems. Ed

17. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Have fun trying to collect on an insurance claim with ups, I can give you literally thousands of cases of they're incompetence. I have friends that are some of the biggest engine building names in the nhra,and they dont even file claims anymore due to the hassel and time factor. they just send stuff back and get new parts. I beieve there was a thread here a week or 2 ago about a damaged gun someone from here shipped thru a ffl dealer with pic's of the undamaged gun that showed at the destination damaged and ups said too bad so sad. I dont believe he ever posted the outcome. I never use ups. I ship thousands of pictures a year with usps and have never had a single problem.

18. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

I once tried to ship a stock only to have a Gracoil Reducer installed and wasted 4 hours at 3 UPS facilities trying to explain that it was only a piece of wood. USPS is the way to go. Sold a BT99 and shipped it USPS without a problem. The buyer received it within 3 days. Rock on USPS!!!!!

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fedex

USPS costs more and the insurance claim process is a nightmare--

If you ever had to sue for damage- you would have to go to Federal Court

regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This was shipped in to me by UPS. Note the tape.I use FedEx.
    Mike Battista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.