1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping sold shotgun from CA To KY

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mercedesman1981, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I believe you will have to send the gun to an FFL living in KY. For me, I would ship the gun via Federal Express p-1, standard delivery, insured. They will most likely ask for a copy of the FFL license you are shipping it to.

You can also ship directly to a manufacturer without using an FFL, I did this shipping directly to Browning. Browning returned shipped my gun without an FFL, the reason this could be done is I am the original owner. Incidentally, I wanted the gun returned to me via Fed-Ex and included a pre-paid Fed-Ex form in the shipment. Browning will only ship UPS and to their credit, the gun arrived before the projected date, in perfect condition. I have read too many horror stories regarding UPS on this website and to this day, will only ship Fed-EX insured. I also double box my guns with lots of packaging material. It may cost more because of the weight but at least I know it will arrive in good condition.

mike

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shipped guns UPS and never had a problem, they should be shipped over night so they don't sit in a terminal someplace ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

You can take the shotgun to the post office and send it second day priority mail.
    Show them a copy of the FFL, which will be the same as the package is addressed to. If they balk, ask for the supervisor; don't take no for an answer. It is less expensive, you can insure it, and I shipped my last two shotguns that way from the Mission Viejo PO.
    The shotgun must be apart, no ammo, etc.
    Dave

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I can understand the hassle with sending TO Calif., but it should be able to go outbound to kentuckey with no problem to a Kentucky FFL holder.

Maybe there's something I don't know. How would they track outgoing shipments?

HM

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Just ship it to an FFL in Kentucky and that's that! You do not have to go through an FFL in CA!

AndyH (in CA)

6. fred adrio

fred adrio TS Member

I recently sold a shotgun to a buyer in New Hampshire and that FFL dealer wanted me to go to a FFL dealer in Florida and send the gun thru him adding an additional cost ,,of which i found out does not hold true to FFL buying and selling policies.

7. bocephus

bocephus Member

biggun, I think you should reread the first post, especially this part:

I have just sold a shotgun and I need to know what is required by law to ship it to the new owner in KY. I will be sending the gun from CA.

And people wonder why rumors and falsehoods get started as stories are told to others...

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

You can ship "parts" to an individual. Send the gun in 2 packages and forget about the FFL...........merlyn......delivered to your door......

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Merlyn:
    You can not send a receiver as "parts". The receiver must be sent to an FFL.
    Dave

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Wow merlynstrapguns, you are so clever. BATFE never caught on to that trick. Just make sure you don't send the receiver. Who needs that extra weight anyway?

11. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check the above web site. It has the FAQ right from the AG'S office in California

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

BiGunn is correct in what he and I did.

I was notified about 6-8 months ago by the CA Department of Justice that shipping a gun to CA without a prior DOJ approval code was a felony. Consequently, I simply registered with the CAD OJ and received shipping approval.

I shipped a shotgun to a CA DOJ APPROVED FFL dealer, AND had his FFL in my file. Not all FFL dealers are approved (probably more or an academic thing).

The shipment went smoothly. The gun was held at the CA FFL dealer's place of business for 10 days and I enclosed a copy of my FFL.

To ship a gun out of CA to an FFL should be OK to be done by the individual and probably not necessary to go through an FFL as a shipper. I don't live in CA now, so I am not familiar with their state's codes.

I have to assume that if a hunter needs to have his Remington 870 worked on at the Remington facility in Ilion, NY, he can simply ship it to them - this is what most states are permitted via the BATFE. I am not sure how the reverse works with Remington shipping it back.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.