1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Shotguns- Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD08, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD08

JRD08 TS Member

Looking for a little advice as far as shipping a shotgun. I will be shipping the shotgun from Illinois to Ohio. I sold the gun online and will be shipping to the new owners FFL. I have always just had a local shop ship guns for me, but I would like to try and avoid the FFL transfer fee by shipping the gun myself. What all do I have to do to stay within the law and do this legally? I know that it must be packaged well and show no signs of being a firearmm outside of the I dont know what else I need to do. Please help.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you have a copy of the buyer's dealer's FFL license and are confident it is legitimate, then just ship the gun to the FFL business location. This assumes you have already received the funds and are confident the money is good.

The FFL will make the actual transfer to the buyer.

Oh, you can ship the gun several different ways...... Post Office, Fed Ex, and (I think) UPS.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Post office, registered is a good bet...

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Ive done mine via Registered mail as its signed for by each person/office it has to go through AND by the carrier who delivers it. It is also in a secured/locked area until it is moved, unlike any other shipper its just tossed with all the other mail.

5. JRD08

JRD08 TS Member

OK, so get a copy of the FFL. Go through the USPS and send it registered mail. Do I have to make it known to the postal service that it is a firearm? Or does that stay unknown? Thanks for the info guys.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

MIA gives good advice. I have shipped dozens of guns by Priority Mail, (insured and delivery confirmation). Absolutely no problems. If it is a very expensive gun; I probably would opt for to ship it Registered Mail. Ed

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you go to USPS.com and check rates. There is a point where it becomes cheaper to ship it registered than priority because the insurance on registerred is cheaper. If shipping priority, you can print the label and postage online and they will pick it up at your door. Doesn't get much easier than that. Registered is the most secure shipping available in my book but be aware that if you are shipping registered, all tape must be able to absorb ink. They will stamp it along seams for tamper detection.

Bob

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Yes, tell them you are shipping a firearm, as technically you have to confirm it's unloaded.

USPS

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice

11.6 Prohibited Parcel Marking

For any parcel containing a firearm or a ballistic or switchblade knife, any marking that indicates the contents is not permitted on the outside wrapper or container.

--------------

Also, a little additional reading.

Title 27 - Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms

§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.

(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.

[33 FR 18555, Dec. 14, 1968. Redesignated at 40 FR 16385, Apr. 15, 1975, and amended by T.D. ATF–354, 59 FR 7112, Feb. 14, 1994; T.D. ATF–361, 60 FR 10786, Feb. 27, 1995]

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title27/27-2.0.1.2.3.3.1.13.html

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Again. As stated by MIA; you do not have to volunteer the content of the package. They will ask you if the contents are perishable, hazardous, flammable. etc. To this question you will simply answer no. If you for whatever reason feel the need to inform the postal employee of the content, then they have the right to inspect the content. Why make the process more difficult? Ed

10. JRD08

JRD08 TS Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.