1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping question, about shot guns.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80jim, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80jim

k80jim Member

I know you have to ship to an FFL when shipping a sold gun to somebody. Or if you are sending it to some one. My question is. I have someone who wants to inspect a combo set. I have lots of family in his area. Could I ship my gun to, say my parents or my brothers house. Where he could go and do his inspection? The gun is insured so I not worried about it coming up missing in the mail. I have not shipped a gun in years and know things have changed. Last time I going any shipping it was no big deal. Not sure anymore. Was going to call my local Mail Depot but did not want to be put on some gun list nut job list.

Thanks guys.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Out of state, No.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Under Federal law, since 1968, you must ship/deliver a firearm through an FFL holder in the recipients state, if shipping out of your state. Does not matter whether it is a relative or not. Further both your state and recipient state laws may add additional requirements/limitations or restrictions. You need to check the requirements through the ATFs web site, and possibly your state governments web sites.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You may ship to yourself. But u must be there to receive it.

5. k80jim

k80jim Member

Thanks guys. I guess I am making a trip to my not so local FFL.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You do not need to use an FFL holder for shipping(unless the receiving State says so), if you ship to an FFL holder in another state. In turn...that FFL holder(original reciver) can ship the gun directly back to you, if the buyer backs out.

Doug

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Here is an idea. You can ship your gun out of state directly to some repair person who does repair work or custom work on guns....... such as a gunsmith, a custom stock repair/alteration person, etc. You don't need to go through any additional FFL holders because the gunsmith or stock repair person already has a FFL license.

While the gun is at the gunsmith's being inspected or repaired, I suppose that the guy who wants to look at it could stop by the gunsmith's shop and look at it (providing it is OK with the gunsmith). The guy could not take possession of the gun such as take it home with him, but I see nothing wrong with him LOOKING at the gun while it is in the gunsmith's possession.

After the guy has looked at the gun, the gunsmith could ship the gun directly back to you with no FFL involved on your end. Of course, you would have to work the details out with the gunsmith and pay him whatever he requires for his work or inspection or cleaning.

P.S. If the guy liked the looks of the gun and wanted to purchase it, there MIGHT be some way the gunsmith could transfer it to him or to another FFL nearby for the transfer to the buyer. This would save you shipping costs. You would have to ask the gunsmith about this.

Easystreet

8. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Maybe someone can answer this question. If you ship the gun in pieces, is that still legal? Receiver and barrel seperated? The reason i ask is because you can buy parts and have them shipped to you. Buy enough parts and you have a gun.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

You can ship any part of the gun without a FFL except for the receiver. When you ship the receiver, you are deemed to be shipping a firearm as far as the federal guns laws are concerned.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.