1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping pistol to myself

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I know I can ship a long gun to the hotel, but what about a handgun. I am flying up to pick up a new bike and want to avoid the hassle at airport, but want to be legal. I would ship Priority overnight and pickup when I get there. Thanks for the help.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

According to Federal Law, an individual MAY ship to themselves. No Problem with Federal Law.

3. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

UPS tariffs don't require that a pistol be shipped FFL to FFL.

Transportation of Firearms
    Shipping Firearms Including Handguns
    Customers must observe the following procedures to ship firearms (including handguns) via UPS:

* UPS will accept firearms for transportation only according to the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service.
    * UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS Express CriticalSM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer.
    * UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS Express Critical service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer.
    * The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.
    * Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® service.
    * Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk of any package containing a handgun.
    * UPS prohibits the inclusion of ammunition in packages containing firearms, including handguns.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont see a provision where you can ship a handgun to yourself --

I might be looking at this the wrong way

Gene

5. obfd13

obfd13 Member

Directly from the atf website...."Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

6. g7777777

there are 3 types of firearms if you read through the ATF rules

The use of the word firearm alone means generally shotgun and rifle with legal barrel limits

Handguns are in the second class of firearms and referred to as handguns or pistols

There is no provision to ship a handgun or pistol to yourself but there are several different provisions that call for a handgun to only be shipped from FFL to FFL

I am not sure of the ultimate answer to this question

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

"The use of the word firearm alone means generally shotgun and rifle with legal barrel limits'

B.S.

The same FAQ's say:

"(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence. "

So by your reasoning, you can only move your rifles and shotguns, but you would have to ship your pistols to a FFL. Don't think so, not going to happen.

"Handguns are in the second class of firearms and referred to as handguns or pistols"

B.S. again. Handguns are a subclass of firearms, and referred separately only when there are specific provisions regarding handguns.

Here for example, BATFE clearly identifies handguns as a subclass of firearms,

"(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting. "

"There is no provision to ship a handgun or pistol to yourself but there are several different provisions that call for a handgun to only be shipped from FFL to FFL."

Total and complete BS.

A person can ship (transfer ownership) of a handgun to a resident of the same state as the seller.

A person can ship a handgun to an FFL in another state for the purpose of effectuating a transfer of ownership, and that FFL can return the handgun directly to the owner if the transfer is not completed.

A person can ship a handgun to an FFL for the purpose of modification or repair and the FFL can ship the handgun directly back to the owner.

A person can ship a handgun to himself, as stated in the above FAQ.

So that's at least six instances where a handgun can be shipped and not shipped from FFL to FFL.

The ultimate answer is "yes", you can ship a handgun to yourself, provided that possessing does not violate some local or state law.

8. g7777777

Southern Gent

I agree a person may move a handgun as a household good(if it doest violate state or federal laws ex. try doing this to alaska via the canadian highway and someone will be in jail)-- but that wasnt the question- or didnt appear to be the question- it appears the word ship was used in the form of mail, ups, fedex. etc------ the legal status of a household goods shipment is entirely different

You assume again that firearm means handgun- whether or not it is a subclass- is semantics- I think you are wrong but it doesnt matter- firearms must be shipped to an FFL is the provision in the rule when shipping out of state- there is no other provision- or doesnt appear to be

In state? I dont know- it would be governed by state law-

This issue is a question for the ATF- and it really needs a written determination

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would appear to me that this there may not be a simple clear answer to this question. I also suspect that if different people at the BATF were asked, one might get different answers.

What about this question? Can I successfully ship across state lines a handgun to myself if I do not report myself to the BATF after I receive the gun?

Pat Ireland

10. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Iv'e got over 42000 mile's on my Harley and it run's just fine without a gun.

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Everything is legal until it is tested.IE- I have a friend who has a 3/4 ton pickup,tow's a 5 th wheel and also a 17' boat. I asked him about exceeding the legal length for Minnesota and he said he talked to a Hwy Patrolman about this and I quote you're "legal" (not going to be stopped) until you get in an accident then you are in trouble as there is a law it just isn't enforced until there is trouble . Then even though you may have not been the cause of the accident everyone will put the blame on you and if your insurance company can somehow prove you knew the law they also will put the blame on you. I'm almost sure Gene is correct on this and you can ship anything if you don't get caught but I do know the United States Post Office will gladly ship long guns but only allow handgun shipments between FFL'S. Find out first or be ready to suffer the consequences. Glenn

12. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

"the United States Post Office will gladly ship long guns but only allow handgun shipments between FFL'S."

Actually there are several narrow exceptions where a handgun can be shipped by USPS between a FFL and an individual, or between two individuals.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Decided to take it in checked luggage. This way I KNOW I am legal. Thanks for all the responses. Gunnerandbabe, I have over 150K on bikes and mine run better weighted to the right. Ride safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.