1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping outboard motor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I want to ship my 7.5 hp Honda 4 cycle from San Antonio to Seattle. UPS wants to tack on huge fees because the crate weighs almost 150 pounds. I didn't want to haul it in the car this Summer but it just might make more sense. Any suggestions? Ron

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Try shipping it by motor freight, might be cheaper, UPS doesn't like the heavy stuff, it takes two people to move it legally under osha rules, so they charge you for the second person

3. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Ron, have you considered a regular freight/trucking company like Yellow Freight, Old Dominion, etc.. Most of them can give you a quote online at their websites. Or you can try the links below.

http://www.freightcenter.com/

http://www.associatedshippers.com/

Gus in Las Vegas

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Band it to a pallet and send it common carrier. UPS,FEDX is not the way to send it.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Roof rack? Trailer hitch receiver game rack?

Guy B.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its probably not gonna be cheap no matter what carrier or method you choose to ship with. You also take a huge risk of having a busted lower unit by the time it arrives. If it were me, I'd find room in the car. Just my 2c anyway.

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Thanks for all of the help. I think I have it figured out. Ron

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

UPS also ships LTL freight, just like the all the better known common carriers. and their rates are competitive. Go to, freightcenter .com....do a quote, pick your carrier, pay by CC.....It's as easy as mail order. You'll also get reasonable rates by doing it that way. The charges get expensive if you have to do residential w/lift gate service. It makes quite a difference shipping and receiving residential....business to business w/fork lift rates are fairly reasonable.

When using freightenter.com...be sure you are accurate about what service you require. Beware, some other services will give you a real low quote, and then start adding the upcharges on afterward.

I just shipped 400# n/CA to OH, 380.00...Residential w/lift gate to business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.