1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping my Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by seymore/82, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

I know this has ben debated before on here but I will be shipping my gun back home from Alaska. Some say use the USPS; some say Fed Ex; some say UPS. Some say not to tell them its a gun just machined parts. I am looking for the best idea. Do I have to ship to a FFL and if so do I need a number or could I just ship it to my home address. Thank you Danny.

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Ship it by USPS, it's the least hassle! The only thing they should be asking is if it contains any liquids or explosives. DO NOT ship ammo with it!

3. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

P3AT, I like your idea of shipping it back to my home address but I will not be back home unless I delay shipping it until I get off the cruise. Personally, even if the gun doesn't arrive for several days after I get back that would be fine. My time for shipping it out of Alaska might be a conflict also. I hope to shoot Sunday and the Tour-Cruise starts that day. Is it going to be possible for someone else to ship it to my home address. Thanks Danny

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Stating that the contents contain "machine parts" will invalidate any claims should your "machine parts" be damaged in transit. The carriers have regulations concerning firearm shipments. Should it be revealed that you did not declare the contents of your package as a firearm, you might be fighting an uphill battle to process a claim should your gun get damaged in transit. I would venture on the side of caution and declare the true contents of the package.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can send it to a friend or neighbor, just make sure you address it "In Care Of". The person receiving it by law is not allowed to open the package.

-----

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

YOUR NAME, c/o Mother Doe Gun Club, 123 Somewhere Street, City, ST 12345

------------

I've had very good service from the post office.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a fan FedEx Ground... reasonable pricing and good tracking...

Jay

7. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Thanks to all so for, My question is will Joe be able to send my gun to me. Is that allowable. Thanks Danny

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

No.

9. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

870, I didn't like your answer. Ha!Ha!. So if Joe takes my gun to the local Gun Dealer/Sporting Goods store, who he knows, would they be able to send my gun to me. Thanks Danny.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Well, it was to the point!

Still no, not legally at least. You can ship it c/o yourself w/o involving a FFL at all. Nobody else can do this, not even an FFL unless they are shipping it back to you after work performed etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.