1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping my gun out of CA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by racer, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racer

racer TS Member

What are the basic rules of shipping a gun out of CA to a gun smith and getting it back? Thanks for any info, Dan

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Been awhile but I believe you can still send and receive without any paperwork for bonofide repair work.

Robert

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check with your CA DOJ in Sacramento to see if you can get it back without an FFL intervention.

In normal cases, not including CA possibly, anyone can ship a gun off to get it worked on if the receiver is an FFL, as most/all warranty stations are.

CA is a bit different, I think, because before I was permitted to ship any guns into CA, I had to be on the CA DOJ list and fill out some paperwork. I had received a letter for the DOJ when this CA law came into effect, probably because I had legally shipped trap guns into your state.

WW

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You can ship a gun for repair to a gunsmith or manufacturer and they can ship it straight back to you. No need for FFL to receive it back. The smith or repair facility must have an FFL to receive the gun. I don't know of any who don't have a FFL.

Don't take my word for it. Give the DOJ a call. It's free. (916) 263-4887

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Rastoff is correct. In CA if you own the gun you can ship
    your firearm for repair, modification, or whatever.
    Facility on the other end must be a FFL.
    Simple as that.

Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.