1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Live Ammo.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gridlock, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gridlock

gridlock Member

Can anyone tell me if shipping live ammo requires a Hazardous Material permit?
    What and by who are the best ways to ship?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No, I believe you just need to identify somewhere on the container in large letters, ORM-D

Other Restricted Material, Class D (I beleive)

US Postal Service works well for me.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

UPS ships live ammo as regular packaging if it has ORM-D labels on it.

USPS regulations prohibit the shipping of ammunition of any sort. Click on Appendix A: Hazardous Materials and check under "ammuntion" and "cartridges".

Morgan

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Captain,

Is that USPS prohibition a new thing?

I'm sure I have shipped small arms ammo via USPS in the past.

Tim

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Tim,

This is the first paragraph of the web page I posted:

The mailing information in this table is based on the DOT Hazardous Materials Table in 49 CFR 172.101 (dated October 1, 1998, and the revisions published in Federal Register 10742, dated March 5, 1999). The information is modified to identify the mailability of each hazardous material based on Postal Service mailing regulations. This table identifies the mailability of hazardous materials for domestic mail only."

The intro goes on to say that certain materials that can be relabeled as "ORM-D: Consumer Commodity" are exempt from the regulations, but even though ammo is classed as an "Other Regulated Material, Domestic" (ORM-D) item, it cannot be classed as a consumer commodity. That category includes things like aerosols, chemical products, gun cleaning liquids etc.

Morgan

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You might check with your local postmaster. (Who probably knows little or nothing about this question). However, I would tend to agree with Morgan. I do not believe the USPS system delivers live ammo. UPS and FedEx will deliver; and live ammo does not come under the hazardous fees that powder and primers do. Ed

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I was thinking about being ORM-D certified, but UPS charges $600 of the course.

I'd have to sell a helluva lot of "D" components just to break even, so I gave that fruitless idea up for Lent.

Whiz

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hey Whiz we gave up the same thing! What were the chances? Jeff

9. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo by John Barth

There have been a lot of inquiries into how to ship ammunition and questioning whether you can ship it at all with today’s transportation laws. Well, we did some extensive research to get the correct answer for you and here it is:

According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition. FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a “Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods” form which is on their site if you do a search for “Dangerous Goods Forms”. The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the following:

Hazmat employee name
    Training date
    Copy of the training materials
    Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
    A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in house)
    A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key part of the in house training is you don’t have to pay someone to train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx 800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922 and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition or ammo the correct way is important. Please pass this information on.

This article was published on Tuesday 17 April, 2007.
    Heres a self taught way to legally ship ammo, Dan Witcher

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

isnt it funny how you need to pay hazmat for powder/primers. But you can ship loaded ammo with out hazmat fees... Dave

11. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Paragon has shipped me thousands of surplus British 303 via USPS. But it has been 10+ years ago. Things change always do.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.