1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dzeh, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzeh

dzeh Member

I know this subject has come up several times before but I need some help. I've shipped shotguns before through a local dealer (FFL holder) but want to see about shipping through the postal service (USPS). I know from previous posts that it is lawful to ship using the postal service. I am in the process of selling a shotgun to another TS'er and would like to ship it to his FFL. After numerous calls to USPS I am convinced my local postal people are clueless! I can't get a straight answer out of them. Of course they're taking the easy way out by just saying I have to use a dealer here to ship. Does anyone have a specific reference that I can show these people? I'd like to be able to walk in there and show them what their official policy is. I need to be able to tell them where to look for the information as opposed to showing them something I printed off so there is no doubt. This is what I have to deal with living in a small town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. primed

primed Well-Known Member

The reference is the Domestic Mail Manual 601.11. Link is above. Basically it states that you cannot ship handguns or short barrel shotguns via the postal service. You can most definitely ship an non-shortened shotgun.

You might look at registered mail as it is about as secure a common shipping method as exists today. The insurance rates are therefore less so quite often registered will be less that priority mail plus insurance. You can check that out at usps.com. Be aware however that registered mail cannot have plastic tape, must have a tape that will absorb ink, like paper tape (Staples has it)

Check the FAQ's on the BATF site and you will find that the shotgun does not require a FFL on the shipping end, only on the receiving end.

Bob

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you know, you make it tough on yourself. All you have to do is box the damn thing securely and take ti to the post offic and answer no to there "potentially hazardous" question adn tell them how you want it shipped. Then pay your dough and hav eit shipped as you requested. Don't offer crap that they do not need. You act like a little old lady that is worried that her yorkie will not ship without a bowl of food and water.

Honestly, I'll be gald to talk sensibly too you. Pick up the phone and call me at 715-262-8556.

jack

4. dzeh

dzeh Member

So, "MIA" when you ask for over $2k of insurance you don't have to state what's in the package?

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't know about your post office....but at mine I put it on their scale and the usually look at it and ask if it is a handgun. I say that it is a shotgun, then they ask if I want to insure it!

My local UPS seems to have an anti gun manager, and she will do anything to keep from taking in ANY gun!

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I just shipped today via USPS.

Registered, insured, return signature.

Declared as shotgun, not loaded.

No big deal...

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Having used U.P.S.-FED-X and USPS all i can say is u.p.s. Lost a nice 3200 trap USPS bent a barrel and dented a stock but FED-X has been 100% .

At the USPS office I never come close to saying the word GUN at any time .

8. dzeh

dzeh Member

Well, to make a long story short..I packed the gun up, took it to FedEx, told them it contained a shotgun. They asked if it was unloaded and I assured them it was and they said, "Thanks very much. Have a nice day." I thought I'd have to use FedEx Express service and was told I could ship it FedEx Ground. Saved a bunch and no hassle whatsoever! I'll do my best to stear clear of USPS. No wonder they're projected to lose billions this year. Thanks to all those that responded.

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive shipped several shotguns through the USPS. Never had any problems.

10. dzeh

dzeh Member

I think that there is so much inconsistency between p.o.'s that it's crapshoot as to what you'll get. In my case I encountered a bunch of clueless postal workers who decided to take the easy way out and say I just couldn't do it. If you do any kind of search on the USPS website you won't find any clearcut instructions for private individuals to ship a firearm to an FFL holder. I even used the USPS website to submit an inquiry on shipping a gun and their response was to contact my local p.o. No one wanted to help. I applaud all of you that have no problems with the USPS but on the whole I have found many people that have run into the same problems I had. One call to FedEx and the agent was able to bring the appropriate requirements and answer all of my questions. USPS folks were worthless to me. It'll be FedEx for me from now on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.