1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Handguns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TURNKEY321, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I was wondering what is the best way to ship a handgun. I had shipped shotguns before and never realized how expensive it was to ship a handgun. UPS advised me that it would cost $63.00 to ship a handgun from Iowa to the East Coast. I asked if there was a cheaper way to ship and he advised me that I could break the gun down seperating the frame and slide and ship it for about $20.00. The big difference he stated was that if it was a complete handgun it was shipped overnight by air and when broke down it could be shipped ground. Just wondering what some of you guys do. Tim

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

*sigh*..

everything you need from the horses mouth, not here, from the rear, is available on the BATF website...

3. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I read the ATF sight several times, yet I still do not see where it explains what UPS told me today. The only thing that I got from the ATF sight was that USPS could not be used unless you are an FFL holder. It just seems too simple to break the gun into parts and ship it at 1/3 of the price. Sometimes I have found that not everybody at UPS knows the policy.
    A couple of months ago I went to ship some ammo and was told that I had to fill out Haz Mat papers. Brought the papers back the next day and was told that the box only had to be marked ORD, threw the papers away. Tim

4. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

I just shipped a .45cal Glock back to Glock yesterday for repair. UPS first told me I couldn't ship a handgun, then I had to ship to a gunsmith. I could not make her believe that Glock was a manufacturer and they had lots of gunsmiths. The manager finally came out and told me she was anti-gun and would do anything she could to discourage shipment of a gun. I did have a long chat with the district manager this morning although I don't believe it will do any good. We do not have FedEx here in Fort Apache so I don't have an alternative. Thought real hard about getting two flat rate USPS boxes and sending it that way.

I'm pretty sure it says "shall not be infringed".

Total cost was $66. Good luck to you.

Shoot safe and join the NRA, John

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

--------------------------------------

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.

A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

-----------------------------

UPS

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Hopefully, if you are an active member of the Gun Culture, you have a good relationship with a local Gun Shop. Ask them what their fee is to ship your firearm by USPS.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You can ship UPS but it must be overnight which is pricey. You cannot, as an individual ship USPS even if it is broken down. The frame with the serial number is considered a firearm.

8. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Take the handgun to a dealer and have him ship it by USPS Priority Flat Rate.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Good advice!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ups nashville ship handgun