1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've heard that there are many new changes in the gun laws..laws that also impact long guns. Is it still legal to ship a long gun to one's home via public carrier such as FedEx? For example, if an individual needs take items from a relative's estate, a relative that passed away, is it legal to ship that relative's two, three, smoothbores to one's home to save space on the trip home?

I am curious about this situation, it has come up for me. Obviously, I would hate to lose the guns due to a technical violation. I have also heard that if I ship said guns to an FFL holder/dealer in California, I would have to pay sales tax!!! This seems like a very regressive tax law.

Thanks...any attorneys out there?

Regards,

David

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

As far as I understand you can always ship your property to yourself even if in another state. You may not have a relative do it you must do it your self.

This is my understanding but it would not hurt to all the BATF.

Joe

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

First you would need to register them in your name ? At this time they are not so you could only ship to an FFL in your state .

ALF

4. obfd13

obfd13 Member

register them with who???

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

obfd13
    He is saying he got the guns gave to him on an Estate from a relative that is dead and out of state . So the guns are not registerd to him and he can not ship them out of state to him self (home) untill he has them restered to him by an FFL holder .

6. obfd13

obfd13 Member

thanks for clearing that up, alf. we've got a lot of our own problems here in illinois, but at least we don't have to register our guns here with an ffl.

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Here is a link to the batf website.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't know what state you speak of but as far as I know the guns are yours, no registration required.

How they get into your hands is another matter. You can have a relative ship them to your FFL.

You can have a relative or friend bring them to you. (after all, they are yours.)

You can go there and send them to yourself. NO registration is required, they are yours. The deceased party could have given them to you in person without need of registration.

If there is a state that requires this gift of property to be registered, I don't know about it.

HM

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Halfmile Just a question . Why would you or anyone not need to have the gun go to a registerd dealer (FFL) to CROSS over a state line . Just because he inherited them they are still unregisterd firearms and can not just be sent anyplace he likes .

obfd13 So in Illinois when you buy a gun at a gun shop you do not fill out a form of any kind ??

10. obfd13

obfd13 Member

of course you do, alf. but filling out a form when purchasing a gun at a gun shop has nothing to do with this thread or issue. private sales or inheriting a firearm does not require "registering" it. and yes, i can ship a firearm to myself in another state and receive it when i get there, without going through an ffl.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

obfd13 I can,t send you a firearm from my state unless I send it to an FFL . You also can not pickup the firearm from the FFL unless you register it . You may inherit a firearm but untill you register it in your name it belongs to the estate and not you . Do you really think you can be given a gun in one state and just send it to another state ?? Not in this World

ALF

12. obfd13

obfd13 Member

alf, you sending me the firearm wasn't the issue either. i was talking about shipping to myself, and i don't need an ffl to do so. an inherited firearm does not need to be "registered". maybe your town or city requires a firearm to be registered, but don't assume all do.

13. obfd13

obfd13 Member

all town don't, 221

14. Customstox

Customstox Member

Alf, when you recieve a firearm that you bought thru an FFL, the gun IS NOT REGITSTERED. The transaction is done to insure that you are allowed to own the gun. There is not data base on the serial # of the gun and you owning it other than the records of the FFL.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Alf you do not register guns. You sign a paper that says you are worthy of owning one.

The fact that is has the gun's info on it, and that the info has been used in various traces of one sort or another DOES result in what a lawyer would call de facto registration, and that is the case.

Again, I know of no requirement to register any firearms, inherited or not.

HM

16. philk

philk Member

Box them up and ship them, nobody needs to know what is in the boxes. Don`t ask, don`t tell.

17. gnprts

gnprts Member

Here is an idea ... Ship some thing else (to make room for the guns) then take the guns home....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.