1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shipping guns?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DelarockX, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Sorry if this is an odd question... I can't mail a gun in a locked case through UPS or USPS even if I tell them what it is? Looking to send my gun to someone in Ohio from NJ. I think last time I did this I went through a gun shop but that was because I was getting a gun in return, which isn't the case this time. What's the best way to complete this transaction?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You need a copy of his dealers ffl and need to send it to his dealer. period.

3. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Whoops... I guess I left that part out.

I know I can't mail it to a person. I know I have to mail it to a dealer. My questions should have been "Do I need to mail a gun to a dealer from a dealer, or can I just mail it to a dealer after getting a copy of the dealer's license"

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Get a copy of his license, take it with you to Fed Ex or UPS, send it to his dealer. You dont have to be a dealer to send to a dealer. If they refuse, go somewhere else. Some clerks dont know the laws. I use Fed Ex, no probs. The recieving ffl will need a copy of your drivers license in the shipment

5. esetter

esetter Active Member

Best way to ship is USPS Registered Mail insured. Every person that handles the package has to sign for it. In a strange quirk, the insurance is cheaper because each person signs for it. The post office is not suppose to open the package and look at it. If you are questioned about the contents tell them it is a disassembled gun and they should take it. Sometimes you get a clerk that doesn't know what they are doing and will refuse, ask to speak to a supervisor.

6. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Maybe this is an odd question... But are either of you from nj?

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

esetter has it right if you're talking a rifle or shotgun. An individual (non-dealer, non-manufacturer, etc.) cannot ship a handgun via US Mail though. I didn't see where you specified long gun or handgun.

Bob

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

One interesting fact

Homeland security is routinely checking packages- I just had one checked this week- where they opened a gun case failed to lock the tabs all back- it was obvious- the tabs also had tape on them so they wouldnt pop open

They removed the tape also

Now this was US Mail but Fedex and UPS are having their packages opened as well.

A chemical agent monitoring system will detect gunpower residue or lubricating oils and sound an alert--

There is also the problem of guns going to mexico-

Send a gun anywhere illegally and expect to go to prison- federal prison

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Yeah... it's a shotgun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.