1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping Guns via USPS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I want to ship a shotgun to be serviced. I have used FED EX to ship before but it is getting so damn expensive. I looked at the rates USPS charges and it is less than half that of FED EX.

Anyone have good/bad experiance shipping via USPS? Any problem shipping firearm, need to disclose that it is a firearm?

Thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats the way i sent my Beretta action. I sent it in the medium Flat Rate USPS Box well packed. I took out the insurance and delivery confirmation. It went from Southern IL to MN in (2) days. The total was $23.10 with $1000 coverage of insurance. Thats high to me but wouldn't trust it without the insurance. They didn't ask what i was sending and i didn't tell them. I don't trust UPS and don't have a FED EX location near me.----Matt

3. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

If you figure in Insurance- the Postal service is several times higher than FEDEX

Give you shipping example

If you didnt take out insurance- whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Go online to usps.com and check the price for priority with insurance and registered with insurance. On higher dollar items, the registered with insurance is often less than priority and is much more secure.

Bob

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have never used USPS for firearm shipments so as far as that I have no knowledge. They are so lasidazical about what they do, I have no faith in them with firearms. Letters OK, anything else, no way.

I ship through UPS with a tracking Number that tells me where the item is at all times and who signed for it within 30 minutes of receipt of item. I have done this a bunch.

No problems to date.

6. grntitan

I think they will all work just fine. It all depends on who you trust and what you want to pay. Availability plays a small part in my case. Good luck--Matt

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My experience with UPS is that they won't ship if they know it is a gun---No way Jose in my town with UPS and forget insurance with UPS---Maybe they have different rules in other areas but thats how it is where I live--USPS will ship any long gun out of my post office with a letter from a whiteness that gun was packaged unloaded and a copy of the FFL works great---So what if it is a few $$$s more---It seems to be the best for me---Its one of the only times I can say our PO works---SJB---

8. grntitan

I would rather pay a few extra dollars and feel my gun is safe than save a buck and worry the whole time. With me its USPS Flat Rate that takes (2-3) days.---Matt

9. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I have shipped several guns and only used USPS. Been very happy with their service. Hoosier

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I used to ship via UPS, but got tired of the hassles with no-brain clerks, and I also got real uncomfortable after hearing the many horror stories of trying to collect insurance claims.

I've shipped a bunch through USPS and have never had a problem. Believe it or not, the podunk post offices are the eeasiest to deal with!

11. larryjk

larryjk Member

I have used all three from time to time. S&W uses FedEx for returns. UPS always asks what's in the package, but they know I have an FFL and never give me any static. I always insure for replacement cost. What gripes me is I get charged for a remote location with a UPS shipping center here and they also base an airplane here for their short term shipping. How is that remote? FedEx is a little higher than UPS and they come in from 120 miles away to pickup door-to-door.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i ship everyweek thru postal service-- return address must be a business---cost on a $5-600 gun is usually $27 to $32 - i just shipped a gun w/ $1000 insurance and pd $39- everything is sent "priority mail"--our local ups dropoff point will not take a firearm

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I've used the post office for shipping shotguns, and have not had any issues. I take a copy of the FFL with me, in case they ask. USPS is not a common carrier, so you don't have to tell them it's a gun. But if they ask, I tell them and hand them the FFL copy. They have kept it for their files when that happens.

I also put a copy of the FFL in with the gun. If your address label was lost, the FFL copy would help identify who the gun goes to.

Danny

14. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I want to ship a shotgun to be serviced. I have used FED EX to ship before but it is getting so damn expensive. I looked at the rates USPS charges and it is less than half that of FED EX.

Anyone have good/bad experiance shipping via USPS? Any problem shipping firearm, need to disclose that it is a firearm?

Thanks

15. grntitan

Thats the way i sent my Beretta action. I sent it in the medium Flat Rate USPS Box well packed. I took out the insurance and delivery confirmation. It went from Southern IL to MN in (2) days. The total was $23.10 with $1000 coverage of insurance. Thats high to me but wouldn't trust it without the insurance. They didn't ask what i was sending and i didn't tell them. I don't trust UPS and don't have a FED EX location near me.----Matt

16. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

If you figure in Insurance- the Postal service is several times higher than FEDEX

Give you shipping example

If you didnt take out insurance- whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

17. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Go online to usps.com and check the price for priority with insurance and registered with insurance. On higher dollar items, the registered with insurance is often less than priority and is much more secure.

Bob

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have never used USPS for firearm shipments so as far as that I have no knowledge. They are so lasidazical about what they do, I have no faith in them with firearms. Letters OK, anything else, no way.

I ship through UPS with a tracking Number that tells me where the item is at all times and who signed for it within 30 minutes of receipt of item. I have done this a bunch.

No problems to date.

19. grntitan

I think they will all work just fine. It all depends on who you trust and what you want to pay. Availability plays a small part in my case. Good luck--Matt

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My experience with UPS is that they won't ship if they know it is a gun---No way Jose in my town with UPS and forget insurance with UPS---Maybe they have different rules in other areas but thats how it is where I live--USPS will ship any long gun out of my post office with a letter from a whiteness that gun was packaged unloaded and a copy of the FFL works great---So what if it is a few $$$s more---It seems to be the best for me---Its one of the only times I can say our PO works---SJB---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.